Problems with Safari's printing defaults

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shamanskyh, Jul 2, 2009.

1. shamanskyh macrumors member

Whenever I try to print a page in Safari (4.0.1) The paper size is always incorrect. I'd like it to be US Letter but it always makes it 5.25" x 8.25" with landscape orientation. (This was a paper size I once used with Pages, but it's not even in my custom sizes anymore) Changing the "preset" does not help anything, in fact this paper size comes up as the "Standard" but only in Safari.

I dug around in the PLIST but none of the options seemed like they would help. Any advice/suggestions??

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Try doing the changes from System Preferences > Print & Fax.

3. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

Nope.... it's not there

Both printers that I have are set to a default paper size as US Letter. As I said, this problem only occurs with Safari, not other apps. If I were to AppZap (or something similar) and get rid of Safari completely, could I still keep my bookmarks and history? How would I go about keeping these files?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The bookmarks can be exported from the File menu. History can't really be exported very efficiently. You'll need to copy the following file.
    Code:
    ~/Library/Safari/History.plist
    Safari generally uses the system print defaults that are set in System Preferences. There could be something else going on though.

5. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

I got it

I completely uninstalled Safari and put it back on, but this did not change anything. My bookmarks and history are back thanks to your tip, Angelwatt. Anyway, I hunted through more PLISTs and eventually found one for printing preferences (com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs) in ~/library/preferences and I found that the default paper size was indeed incorrect. However, I'm pretty sure there was a disparity in the PLIST and what System Preferences showed. Not sure how that happened, but it's fixed now! :)