Problems with screen resolution after connecting to HDTV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by saintlaurie, Jun 15, 2011.

1. saintlaurie macrumors newbie

Hope that somebody can help with this.

For a while I was connecting my iMac to my HDTV with a HDMI cable and a Mini Displayport Adaptor and had no problems.

The other day when I decided to put the sound through the TV (it was a quiet recording) and switched off the mirror mode my screen on the iMac went very strange.

The left of the screen was very skewed with strange colours and the actual wallpaper and icons was only on the right-hand side of the screen (I couldn't see the time, some icons, etc). The mouse pointer wouldn't go onto the left-hand side of the screen.

I have updated the software and when I now restart it - the resolution is incorrect and I cannot see the entire screen without scrolling across (although the strange stuff on the left-hand side isn't there). Whenever I now connect to the HDTV (using mirror screen) I get the same problem again.

Any help would be appreciated as I am fairly new to Macs.

Cheers

Laurie

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Try a PRAM reset. Default screen resolutions are stored in the PRAM.

3. saintlaurie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice but no joy I'm afraid.

I have left the mirror displays option checked and when I unchecked it the screen went to a crazy close up resolution and when I checked it again half the screen was all skewed and the pointer wouldn't go over it!

Once I restart the computer it goes back to normal (although the wrong resolution, can't see the time, etc).

Any other ideas?

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Check the TV settings. Make sure you're setting the TV in the Monitors preference pane to a resolution the TV supports. Verify with other sources. Verify with other TVs. Etc... PRAM reset was my easy idea.