Problems with Seagate 3TB external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DAMAC3, Jul 12, 2015.

1. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

I have a 3TB external Seagate drive connected via USB 3.0. I have had it connected to a 2014 Mac Mini for about 6 months. It holds video files for PLEX. The drive has had times where it is connected but not showing up by the Mac Mini. It has also had times where the files don't show up. Now the files are showing up, but they won't play through PLEX. And they will not copy to the Mac Mini drive. I have also tried connecting this drive to my 2013 Macbook Pro. Same results. I have run Disk Utility - Repair Disk. It ran through everything and said the disk was fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Mostly what I have are ripped Blu-ray movies that I can rip again, but I do have quite a collection of recorded TV shows. Like an idiot I didn't have it backed up. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Agree - try another cable. Disk Warrior would be nice to have.

4. cube macrumors G5

5. DAMAC3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it has worked on and off. A different cable didn't help. I appreciate the suggestions. I have gotten the most crucial and difficult/impossible to replace content off of it. Already purchased a replacement with mirrored drives.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

RAID mirror is about high data availability, not about data backups. I run mirror; but, there is always TC in the background doing backups.