Problems with Seagate Momentus drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nebo1ss, Aug 1, 2011.

1. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I just purchased a seagate momentus 500G 7200 drive model number ST9500420ASG as an upgarade for my macbook pro. Since installing the drive I am experiencing freezing with the spinning wheel very often.

I did some research using Google and can see many complaints about this problem back in 2009 and early 2010. There was much talk in the forums at the time about a possible firmware release. However, I am unable to find any evidence of a firmware upgrade except for one that was actually released by Dell and was suspected to slow down the drive.

Anyone has any updated information on this problem. I am surprised the drive I purchased two weeks ago has a history of issues going back to 2009.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2049659?start=0&tstart=0

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Frequent freezing and beach balls would indicated a bad drive, I strongly doubt the firmware is at fault here, I would place my bet on a lemon.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It is the firmware.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451

Follow instructions and you'll be all set.

Of course, if a hard drive is making physical problems (clicking, beeping) then it's the drive itself.

4. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you for the link but that is for a different drive the momentus XT

Mine is the ST9500420ASG with firmware revision 0002SDM1

It seems to be a pretty common problem with this model drive since it is discussed on multiple forums but I have yet to see a solution. Someone suggest it is a power management problem with the drive spinning down and suggested installing HPAPM and setting the drive to prevent spin down.