Problems with sending mail from Apple Mail to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lifeform, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lifeform macrumors member

Hi,

If I send a msg from Apple Mail to i.e. Outlook Express. The same msg shows up with "clean" text formating. That will say, no formatting at all.

See this screen: http://skitch.com/magnar/d6qfx/windows-xp

I have just gotten back to the Mac now from 10-11 months in hell with Windows-stuf, so I am really eager to get this fixed.

In Apple Mail the same message looks this: http://skitch.com/magnar/d6qf9/sendt-226-meldinger

I dont want to change to Entourage, so excellent if you can help me out with this.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OMG. You are sending email, not PDF files. Unlike PDF files, the sender has very little control over how the recipient will view each message. That function is performed by the recipient's email client. If the recipient uses a webmail client, then the sender has even less control. A minor exception is HTML mail which gives the sender some control. However, people who care about the sanctity of email hate HTML mail. My ISP's webmail client has trouble with some commercial HTML mail even when Mail hums along smartly.

3. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

Of course, ;-)

I think HTML is a good choice for mainstream e-mailing. I can understand it if you are e-mailing with a lot of academical and other receivers with Linux or other clients, but these are mainly business and private e-mail users I am mailing with.

HTML should be fine here.

Though it seems that Outlook Express are not coding these the way it should... HTML e-mail from Outlook Express shows up fine in Apple Mail, but not the other way.

Life

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Email is not supposed to be device-specific.

5. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

OK

Though still, why does Outlook Express manage to send HTML-e-mails to Apple Mail, but not the other way...?

Is it Microsoft that has BLOCKED down the apple e-mail format, or are they plain bad at programming...? Only thinking of themselves?

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

One problem is that Outlook Express hasn't been distributed by Microsoft in at least two years (and about 10 for Mac). It hasn't been updated much, and only for XP.

7. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

OK

So I shouldnt worry about this...?

I just want my Apple e-mails to look up as good as possible, as many clients and devices as possible.

8. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

What are the best format settings for Apple Mail ...?

No formatting at all...? I see now again that the signature of many of my HTML-e-mail turn up much bigger than the rest of the message.

I.e. if the main text is in 10pt, the signature shows up in 12 or 14 pt.

9. selmcav macrumors newbie

I have searched all web for this problem but couldn't find it. Now I am using Entourage but I don't want to. Why it is not possible to send html mail by mail.app?

I tried "Postbox" and it works fine. Problem is only mail.app.