Problems with SMC (fan)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMCissueguy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. SMCissueguy macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I am currently experiencing a major problem with my Macbook pro 13" Medio 2009. The thing is my fan have stopped working as far as i am concerned.
    The indications of this is: SMC fan control is saying my RPM is 000 (while the temperature on my computer easily reaches 106 °C, just from watching youtube) and my computer no longer makes any noise at all (it used to be noisy ass hell)

I have tried tried reseting my SMC, witch made the light in my keyboard work again (The apple support site said that this were a indication my SMC weren't working).

Hope someone can help me out here,
    best regards Matias

I am by the way in france at the moment, skiing for the next month, so going to the apple store to get this fixed isn't really a option.. :apple:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your fan is broken (which definitely sounds like it is) no amount of SMC resetting will do anything for you. You'll have to replace it yourself or get it replaced.

Using your comp up to 106°C will damage it, I suggest you do not let it get that hot for extended periods.

Websites such as ifixit.com, or even eBay have the fan you need, it's a pretty simple operation.