Problems with sound on my mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Readinglevelup, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Readinglevelup macrumors member

Readinglevelup

I have 2 problems. One is that I'm plugging a speaker by Altec Lansing, that I've used on my macbook, and it doesn't seem to be recognized on my macbook pro. I've checked system preferences and it doesn't show up anywhere.

The other problem is that I'm trying to record something with a microphone and it's just not recognizing that either. I've checked on the garageband settings and system preferences, but it doesn't show me an interface or anything. I have everything plugged in like I normally do, so I just don't know what the problem is.

The internal mic and speakers work well, though.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks!

2. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Anyone have any idea?

The interface goes to the usb port and the speaker go to the headphone port.

3. McMoronic macrumors member

The ports might be messed up?

Try running optical through the audio out. Do the speakers work even though they aren't officially recognized by the system? If not, take it in to apple and the logic board may need replacement.

P.S. If you haven't rebooted yet, you should. Helps fix almost 75% of my problems

4. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Nope, it won't recognize the speakers or play them. I've also rebooted like 5 times, so it's not that.

5. McMoronic macrumors member

Take it to apple.

If its still within the 90 days, give them a call and troubleshoot. CS is amazing. If not, take it in store. Its good that you found this out in time (hopefully). Do other headphones work with the laptop and do the speakers work with other hardware? That should help you narrow down the culprit.

6. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Yes, actually, I only got it yesterday. It was the first thing I did because I was supposed to record a concert I was playing it.

Also, turns out it doesn't pick up anything. I just plugged in my ipod earphones and it's still coming from the mbp.

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't live near any apple store.

7. McMoronic macrumors member

You'll get a new one.

No need to even call apple, its not worth it when you can get a perfect mbp instead of a repaired one. Just go in, if you explain they'll probably check for logic board problems and give you a new one. If they don't, let them know you'd rather return it. Hopefully you get a perfect mbp this time :D

Good luck.

8. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Thanks man, I'll call them soon enough. Kind of annoying not getting to use it. for a little while. Oh well, exams are soon, so I can't really spend much time on it anyways. :p

9. McMoronic macrumors member

Np, just make sure you get it within the 14 day period .