Problems with Summerboard?? Anybody?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VToX, Dec 1, 2007.

1. VToX macrumors member

Well i downloaded summerboard and a bunch of themes and then a pick a theme and nothing happens, treid this with 4 themes now.

2. duaumun macrumors newbie

make sure that you shut your ipod touch completely off and then back on before you tried to use the themes. That should work. In SMBPf or whatnot it should say SMBPf 3.0 at the bottom, and I bet yours also says Summerboard (Inactive). You need to restart it.

3. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

What he said is usually the problem, if that doesn't work just repost. Also, make sure you downloaded the correct Summerboard... there is a Summerboard (New) and a Summerboard (Old, out of date) on the installer.

4. VToX thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i was stupid and didn't restart it.

LOL @ ME.

:/

5. ben.suffolk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am getting the same problem with the new version 3.1-1 on my jailbroken 1.1.3 touch, I have powered my iPod off about 4 times now, and its still the same, showing as inactive.

I have uninstalled it, powered off, reinstalled it, powered off and its still doing the same thing.

Any other hints, or things I should look for to help identify the cause?

Regards

Ben

6. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Maybe it has to do with theme location changes as identified in another thread.

Here is a quote,

"The old theme location was - - /private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes

The new location - - /private/var/mobile/SummerBoard/Themes

Just SSH into your Touch and move the Themes to the new location and restart. "

7. twynne macrumors 6502a

I'm having exactly the same issue, but I can't find the themes in either of the directories mentioned above. I have, however, found them at:

/var/mobile/Library/Summerboard

Are you certain the above post is correct?

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Themes currently download into
    /private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes
    just copy the themes out of there and into
    /private/var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes

9. twynne macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I'm not referring to downloaded themes. I only want to use the default Leopard theme, and it won't apply. The only themes I can find in the filesystem are in the path I've noted above.

Is there something else required to make this work? My Summerboard just says (inactive) no matter how many times I restart.

10. dagored macrumors 65816

Thats it. If inactive, it is not running. You must completely shut off your touch. Hold top button until slider pops up. Turn if off and then back on. Now is it active?

11. twynne macrumors 6502a

Nope - tried that many times already. Switched off (slide to power off), also tried the Restart Summerboard option in SMBPrefs. No joy.

12. dagored macrumors 65816

What jailbreak did you use? Unless it is the dev official jailbreak, Summerboard will not work.

13. twynne macrumors 6502a

I used the dev jailbreak from Installer. That said, I've had to jailbreak multiple times as the first methods I used weren't the best. Is there any way to confirm this by checking files on the Touch?

14. Backen macrumors newbie

15. twynne macrumors 6502a

Same as me... I'm guessing there must be some issue with THIS jailbreak as well then. So confusing all the different methods and quirks of each! :mad:

16. dagored macrumors 65816

The Installer lists it as a Official 1.1.3 Upgrader it is version 1.1.3-3. It is from Conceited software. Ipodtouchmasters has problems with Summerboard and DRM downloads from iTunes.

Many people are re breaking and using this version without one bit of problem. I am very happy. I have everything as before, but iSlots will not save my score and iSolitaire will not hold preferences. I can live with this until some upgrades come available, and I forgot Screenshot will not work or I would post picts for you about the jailbreak.

17. twynne macrumors 6502a

Thanks - I think I'm going to give it a bit more time as each method seems to have 'some' issues. I know it's not an exact science or anything... but I can live without SMB until things are more stable.

Thanks for the help/advice. :)

18. ben.suffolk macrumors newbie

OK,

I figured it out, I changed the set uid bit on springboard :

chmod +s /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard

I did this to make terminal load as root so when it asked for the password I could use alpine and then use terminal.

However it seems thats what is making springboard inactive.

So its a choice of summerboard, or terminal (at least the way I got terminal to work anyway)

Edit:

I found a way to make term work with the root password, whilst still allowing summerboard to work
    mkdir -p /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin
    ln -s /usr/lib /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib
    chmod +s /usr/bin/login

19. ciscorrupter macrumors newbie

ciscorrupter

Change the owner file

Actually the problem is simple, if u list the detail u can see :

ls -la |less
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 111186 Dec 15 03:44 SIMToolkitPositiveACK.aiff
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 43454 Dec 15 03:44 SIMToolkitSMS.aiff
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Dec 1 06:32 Spanish.lproj
    -rwsr-sr-x 1 root admin 858836 Mar 1 13:16 SpringBoard
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 148 Dec 15 03:45 TVOutSettings.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 14902 Dec 15 03:44 TinkX2.aif

just change the group owner to wheel and it will work. Or you can do:

mv SpringBoard SpringBoard.bak
    cp SpringBoard.bak SpringBoard

then the file group owner will be wheel.

chears... :)

20. xinfinity macrumors newbie

For what it is worth, I did not change any permissions, etc. I simply copied the SummerBoard (SB) folder to /private/var/mobile/SummerBoard/Themes, leaving the SB folder in the original location /private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes and now works fine for me with no issues. I am using SB 3.1 on 1.1.3 JB.