problems with superdrive for new 13" MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jemimalli, Mar 14, 2010.

1. jemimalli macrumors newbie

Got my brand new MacBook Pro about a month ago and I'm having problems with the Superdrive already.

Basically it's getting picky with what DVDs it will play. Some are absolutely fine and others will get stuck during the opening credits. All the DVDs I've tried on it are legal and there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to which ones it will play and the ones it won't. It will even discriminate between DVDs from the same boxset. None of the DVDs are scratched or damaged. Read somewhere in Apple support that labels can unbalance the drive but is this bull?

All the DVDs worked on my old HP laptop, even when it was on the verge of death.

The drive will read the DVDs but will then get to a certain point in the opening credits where I can hear the drive stop and it doesn't start up again, then I have to restart the computer to eject the disc as it disappears from the desktop after I have to force quit DVD player. Does the same thing on Front Row.

Sorry for the piles of info, does it sound fatal to anyone?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Contact Apple and ask what they can do about it, or go to the next Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Shop and bring the MacBook with you and some sample DVDs.

As you still have warranty, that might get your SuperDrive replaced.

3. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Same thing happened to my new 13" macbook pro. exactly.

r