Problems with texting...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    There are many flaws I have found with the way the iphone handles sms text messages.

first of all you can't view, erase, or save individual messages.

You can't really 'save' any messages at all technically. If you accidentally hit clear it's gone. And it's ALL gone.

And then this is the one that really bugs me. It doesn't show the specific time of messages. It just shows it occasionally, if you haven't received a message in a while. This can be frustrating if you are texting back and forth for a while and wanted to know the time of the end of the conversation and no just the beginning. I know this is an ichat thing to, it frustrates me there as well. Also, does anybody know how long you have to wait in between messages before it shows the time again? Is it like 5 minutes probably?

Anybody else share these frustrations or any of your own?

2. The General macrumors 601

If you wanted a Blackberry, then get one. These are text messages we're talking about. Not legal documents. Why on earth would you need to know the exact time you sent "omg meet me at starbucks in 5?"

If you need to archive important messages, know exact dates, times, deleted individual messages and keep important information such as this, u shouldnt b txtin it 2 ur frndz, use email! Then you can read the archived messages from the comfort of your computer, web browser, mobile phone, etc. Your choice.

I love how simple the SMS app is on the iPhone, and I think most people are happy with it too. I didn't need all the jumbled clunky features my freaking Nokia had. Why on earth would I need a forward feature? So I can forward annoying spam chain texts? Oh god no! Let's put an end to those!

/rant over

3. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have to side with the OP on this one. Knowing the time of texts is somthing I miss about my old crap phone. This is a valid complaint. There is no reason there are not options for the texting app. (such as turning on a timestamp. :)

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

exactly, i was looking more for an on/off concept. or perhaps you could select a message to get specific information such as time. and then while you are inside that selected message you have the option to either delete or save to specified folder!

I mean the time thing isn't urgent or anything usually. But I'm just a anal type of person when those type of things and I kinda like to know.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm with you. I'd like to have a timestamp option, as well as the ability to delete select messages. And yes, I miss the forwarding feature of my Treo too.

BTW, not all of us are texting inanities. Case in point: with the earthquake here this morning, there was a lot of crucial texting to check on people and exchanging messages. In case you didn't know, we are encouraged to text rather than call in emergency situations, since they go through easier and don't tie up towers. Forwards and time stamps would have been helpful today.

/MY rant over

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Text message is quite annoying, I absolutely agree.

Once this damn Push thing is squared away, I am saying goodbye to paying for text message, period. I think this was Apple's ultimate scheme to screw AT&T in the arse.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yea I don't really have a need for forwarding. I suppose I could see it's merit, and in the lifetime of my iphone would probably only have used it once or twice. So not devastating but whatever :p

8. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

+1 forwarding and deleting individual messages would be very convenient and a timestamp would occasionally be useful. Should be really easy to implement if :apple: ever get round to it.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

I agree with the OP. The ability to delete individual messages rather than the whole conversation would be GREAT.

10. phannon666 macrumors regular

I'm happy with the SMS as is, however, I can't help but think it's *so* basic that Apple have plans for something a bit more special in a future update, but it's not a priority at the moment.

11. mingletron macrumors newbie

It would be nice to have the basic text features found in most mobile phones.
    It's all well and good saying we don't need text messages and MMS because we have email but my wife, family and friends don't own iPhones and texting has been the normal non vocal phone communication for several years.

Texting is good on the iPhone (when the keyboard lag error is not happening) but it would be nice to have these 'normal' features that we are used to.

I'm pretty sure my first Nokia I bought in 1999 had text message forwarding and time stamps.

12. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

As far as I know, my old Treo 650 doesn't have the timestamp option, nor the forwarding of text messages. What other phones have this feature?

13. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

All my SE phones had this as well as all my WM smartphones - had this in every phone since about 2000.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's been a while since I had the 650 so I can't say for sure on that model, but both my 680 and 700P had those options and more.

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Also, has anybody had a problem with the spacebar?

I'm 90% sure that this is user error and I'm just hitting too low and not actually hitting the spacebar, but on average the spacebar won't register maybe once per sentence... Then it's annoying because I have to go back and seperate the words and correct any mistakes...

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

What if he's late and I want to prove him wrong by showing him the exact time I sent the text? =P

17. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

word

18. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I would LOVE this. Just take some of that great email functionality and apply it to SMS

19. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

And also maybe when the text bubble is selected there can also be a "forward" option.

Time, delete, save, and forward.

20. Gloor macrumors 6502a

What bothers me is the thing that you delete all conversation at once when you hit delete. I didn't know about no forward feature so you brought me bad news. :) Anyway, what I would love to see is something like sms sessions so After a while the session of texting is saved somewhere and new one begins so when i talk one day with my gf about something and next day about something else than i don't have a long text about so many things etc. :)

21. pauld macrumors regular

I really miss SMS/Text received notifications.

22. The General macrumors 601

:D Good point. Maybe they should have "enable advance text mode" and basically it changed it to something like SMSd. :cool:

Then we could both be happy. :D

23. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

See if your on O2, you could use bluebook, which backs up all your SMS and MMS messages for you. And you can always get to it as long as you have a internet connection.

24. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Good call on that. definitely handy. There, in no way, needs to be a flowing conversation between something that happened last week and something going on now. maybe when you are done you can hit "end chat" which ends that session, or if you wanted to divide something into sessions you could drag select however many texts u wanted and hit "create session"

the only problem with all of these ideas, in my opinion, is that they will NEVER be realized. just getting our hopes up with these good ideas. I don't think apple gives a rats ass about better sms messages.. :(

25. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The main SMS screen displays the time of the last message sent to/from that specific person... if that helps you any.