Problems with the headphone jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kravin, Oct 6, 2008.

1. kravin macrumors newbie

Please help.
    I was trying to link up to a video projector and successfully connected thru the monitor port, however when I plugged the sound cord into the headphone jack my screen immediately went black and now my headphone jack no longer works, no matter what I plug into it. I was able to bring the screen back by force shutting down and restarting the computer, and the inbuilt speaker work fine, but now when I plug earphones in I hear a crackling but NO sound comes out. Definitely not a volume issue.:confused:

2. Nick D macrumors member

Nick D

What was the audio out cable plugged into, and was all of this grounded?

3. kravin thread starter macrumors newbie

The audio cable ran to a sound mixing console, which in itself was grounded. My Macbook Pro, however, was not grounded at the time. Does that help?

4. Nick D macrumors member

Nick D

there could have been electrical problems along the way... check to see if the red LED in the headphone jack is lit up. Either way if you have apple care i would recommend a genius appointment.

5. kravin thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely can't see any red light.:(

6. Nick D macrumors member

Nick D

well, then i cant be sure that there is a hardware failure in the jack, unless a piece a the male jack got broken off and lodged in there. You should probably call apple

Sorry I couldn't help more :(

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Goto your System Preferences and check the Sound Output tab. Chances are, the OS might have switch off the port due to some short or something. If it's on Internal Speaker, the external port could be muted.

Attached Files:

8. kravin thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that was the first thing I tried.

Here's a picture of the screen when I plug my headphones in, but still no sound.

Attached Files:

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

There was another poster who tried DJing with his MBP but found that plugging it into the sound system shorted out the system. I'm not sure of the science of how this would happen but yeah... =\ Get that checked out and please post a followup. Hope your problem is resolved.