Problems with the iPod Touch's Home button

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by evtusu, Aug 14, 2015.

1. evtusu macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble(s) with my new iPod Touch (6th gen). When I press the home button (specifically the bottom part of the home button), the button doesn't work. It doesn't matter how many times I press it, it simply doesn't register my input. For it to work, I have to press it with my whole thumb, as if I'm registering my fingerprint for the Touch ID. I've contacted Apple and they've sent me another one, but I had the same problem with the new iPod Touch as well. I'm now getting another replacement but I fear I'm gonna be having the same problem again. Does anyone have or heard this problem? I'd really appreciate some answers on this because I feel like I'm the only one having this problem.

Here's an image of what I'm trying to say, in case I wasn't clear enough. http://i.imgur.com/W3QcDZV.jpg. When I press on the green parts, it works. When I press on the red parts (which is where my thumb usually goes), it doesn't.

Thanks!

2. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I tried pressing different edges of the home button on my 6g and they all work to turn on the device. Are you ever near an Apple Store where you can try this with a staff member?

3. evtusu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not but I'm getting embarrassingly (for me) good support from Apple. I've only created this because I couldn't believe my luck (or lack thereof) to receive two products with the same problem.

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

This isn't a logical idea - but maybe try a different color? They could be manufactured on a different assembly line.......

5. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I had a similar problem when I got the 6th gen iPod, I took it to Apple and they replaced it but now less than a month later it shut off randomly on me and was completely unresponsive (battery was at 100%) I'm past my return date, but darn I don't want to keep this $300 faulty device.

Ughh, *first world problems, but Apple is 40 miles away. lol

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

This is one of several reasons I returned mine to Target. The only place that registers on the button is perfectly in the middle. I got sick of having to hit it perfectly every time to register.

7. evtusu thread starter macrumors newbie

This is exactly my problem! I have to presss the Home button just perfectly to register the input. It's very frustrating. I'm going to return my 2nd iPod touch this Monday and I don't have a lot of hopes that I'll get one that has no issues.

I don't think they'll ask you any money for that and you'd probably get a fix for free but yeah, if you don't live near an Apple Store, that could feel like a chore. At least your home button was working for a month! ;)

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I think you may be right, and I took your advice. I am not OP, but I was having the same issue with my new gold 128. I went to the Apple Store and noticed the gold one on display had the same issue, but the Red one was perfect. So I exchanged for a new Red one, and it is perfect also. I think you may be right about different assembly lines. Too bad, because I preferred gold colour, but the home button on my Red is the best home button I've ever felt of any iOS device I've ever used, so I'll stay with Red.

9. evtusu thread starter macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, my iPod touch (as well as the resplacement) is space gray. If I get another faulty iPod this time around, I'll probably ask for another color even though I really don't like anything else other than SG. (Gold looks nice, but I can't stand the white front face.)

10. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

11. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Maybe if they still take from the same batch production then problem shall remain.

Do they let you change color as well? why not try to kinda massage the button a little bit, maybe it need little run in to work properly.

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I tried that. I gave it the full two weeks. It was always mushy and was starting to give me nuts missing my clicks all the time. It always felt slightly maligned too, probably because it was. My replacement red one feels solid. Absolutely perfect. Don't forget, a sensitive human finger can sense accurately down to about 20 microns. Not a typo, look it up. If a home button feels maligned, it probably is.

13. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

My daughter picked one up (blue) today. Same yellow-y screen around the edges, but fortunately hers does not exhibit the home button issue.

14. baequivirrea macrumors newbie

baequivirrea

Almost same problem here with 16gb gold version. I live in Russia and in apple service i got answer that this is normal behavior lol. Gonna call apple and try to get refund.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

It surprising to me that a billion home buttons later, they still haven't perfected the QC process to keep this from happening.

16. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

all the new ipods 6 have this issue?

I have a similiar issue with my ipad air 2, sometimes when you need to double click you need to stop pressing and try again fast (reposition the finger).

17. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The red ones seem to be OK in my limited experience. My red one has a perfect button, perfect screen, and much better battery life than my gold one that I exchanged, and all the other colours that I tried.

18. fatima21 macrumors newbie

I tried pressing different edges of the home button on my 6g and they all work to turn on the device.

19. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

20. baequivirrea, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

baequivirrea macrumors newbie

baequivirrea

I'm waiting for replacement (Approx delivery is 1 sep) for my bad gold one if it will be with faulty home button too i'll post here.

21. baequivirrea, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

baequivirrea macrumors newbie

baequivirrea

I received my replacement and first of all home button is much more responsive. Replacement is also gold color.
    But home button not that responsive as on my ipad anyway. I think i will keep replacement if all other functions are ok.
    Here picture of how button (approximately) works: http://i.imgur.com/QV4Oh7H.png
    Green: nice
    Orange: need extra push to work
    Red: does not work at all or need to push hard