Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
I just got my new MBP, I used to have a late 2007 black MB. I've been having the weirdest problem, my old MB was a 2.2Ghz (I think), my MBP is a 2.5Ghz, so my MBP should be faster, right? I've been noticing a lot of lag on my MBP, and don't understand why, I'm not doing anything too intensive, just surfing the web and downloading apps, I had NetBeans up DL updates, and couple of other things, but every time would type in a new URL, or switch screen or tabs on safari, it would give me the beach ball, and take awhile. What's going on, my slower MB didn't EVER do that.

Also last night I plugged in my sleeping MBP, and when I went to unplug it this morning, it had turned its self off (I didn't have the timer set to turn off), what's up with that? (I was using a 60-watt power adapter from my old MB to power it, that should have caused it to power off, should it ?)

Also, this is kind of a minor problem but, normally I leave the screen brightness turned all the way down to the last square, to preserve battery life, a couple of times I opened the lid to find that it had increased the brightness, is this because I accidently had the "Automatically Adjust brightness as ambient light changes" setting turned on in the display settings? (I just realized that and turned it off)

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I also just got a new MBP last night and haven't had any of those problems.

I wouldn't recommend using your old MB power adapter for your new MBP, they are different wattage, and I'm not entirely sure what potential problems you could run into, but... I'd avoid it.

It's possible if you just dumped a large amount of files on it quick that spotlight is indexing all your new files, so that could account for some of the slowdown initially

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
I had that problem with my old MB, maybe thats what it was, that kinda makes me feel better, I thought there was really something wrong with it. As for the power adapter, I was told that the only problem would be that it would charge slower. Also, I think I checked "Put hard drive to sleep when inactive", would that turn the computer off when inactive?

Jatku

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
I had that problem with my old MB, maybe thats what it was, that kinda makes me feel better, I thought there was really something wrong with it. As for the power adapter, I was told that the only problem would be that it would charge slower. Also, I think I checked "Put hard drive to sleep when inactive", would that turn the computer off when inactive?

I doubt it, it's just supposed to go to sleep. Just call applecare and they'll prob give you better solutions to your problems than random suggestions here.

Konsole

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2004
Ames, Iowa
My new macbook pro (unibody 2008) is the screen is kinda loose.

My previous macbook pro 15", I could pick up the laptop and the screen would stay that the angle it was at. The new one falls open/shut.

Does anyone know if it can be tightened? I have an appointment at the apple store, but I am not sure they can actually do it there. Plus it is a brand new machine and im not sure the 'genius' would even know how yet.

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
using the 60watt charger isnt the best thing in the world. if your doing alot of things on the mbp what can happen is that your computer draws power faster than your battery can charge which can wreck havoc. same type of thing in a car when your alternator doesnt work right. if you've got your 85w adapter i highly recommend using that.

groovetrain

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
The geniuses are usually pretty good even if they're new, they usually get pretty good training. Plus, one of the reasons why they made the battery and HDD so easy to access is so that the geniuses can just give you a new comp without using any tools!

I also noticed that the screen is a little loose, maybe it was a give and take, making the screen easier to move manually also made it more prone to move when u dont want it to.

Groovetrain

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
My screen is pretty loose too, are you sure thats not the way there supposed to be in this new design? Is anybody's new MBP screen tight like the older model? (this is my first MBP, but my old MB has a pretty tight screen, it will slide back but it won't slide forward, like my new MBP does)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My screen is pretty loose too, are you sure thats not the way there supposed to be in this new design? Is anybody's new MBP screen tight like the older model? (this is my first MBP, but my old MB has a pretty tight screen, it will slide back but it won't slide forward, like my new MBP does)

Seems to be normal. My new MBP will fall back if I pick it up anything other than gently.

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
I'm probably going to the Apple store this weekend, I'll have them look at my MBP and see what they say, I'll let you know what they think.

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
Well I didn't make it to the Apple store but, after spending some more time with it, I think the screen is just fine, it might be a little loose, but I can deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.