Problems with the Penryn MBP keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by triforcer, Mar 4, 2008.

1. triforcer macrumors newbie

not sure if anyone has a similar issue, but i recently purchased a new MBP friday and i have already noticed issues with the cap lock and the enter keys. sometimes when i press enter or the cap lock, it doesn't register. now this doesn't happen all the time, but enough to notice it being a problem and i noticed that i have to press dead center of the key to get it to work sometimes. when i hit return on the left side of the key, it will indent down like it's suppose to but no action is registered.

i read similar topics about mac keyboards having this "function" but i don't believe it's anything intentionally designed. does anyone recognize this problem? my macbook pro is only about four days old, so i'm planning on visiting the apple store where i bought it to get it exchanged.

2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I can tell the Caps Lock button takes a hard tap to register more than a normal key, but the Enter key is fine for me. I know that on the new Apple keyboard that I have has the same Caps Lock tap function. So it might be something that Apple has incorporated from random hits registering.

3. danzzz macrumors member

new MBP has the CAPS LOCK safeguard feature as used in MBA and mac keyboard.

so, its not a problem at all!

4. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

but i find the it kinda weird that it's on the return key also. i mean it's something i can get used to but i see my friends' older MBP and they don't have any issue like that.

5. danzzz macrumors member

if that happens to the ENTER key, then it's a problem (but shouldn't be a big one) go to genius bar and ask for help

old SR MBP does not have that feature. i personally dont like this feature either cuz i use caps lock a lot!

6. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i don't understand apple's thinking about including that "feature" in the cap lock. they're like overbearing parent's putting padding on any sharp corners in a house for their children, but they're children are college students and professionals.

7. tazzzer macrumors newbie

CAPS LOCK IS A PROBLEM ON NEW MACBOOK PRO P Processors

Hi, saw this post and wanted to say I bought a new macbook pro on Sat in the UK after months of waiting for these new processors. When I started up the machine I almost imeadiatley noticed problem with the caps lock key. If it was not pressed right in the centre and quite slowly it just wouldnt work. I type fast so by sunday eve it was already becoming annoying. Also at £1,300 I thought hell no! I am not gonna put up with this. I read through the forums and found stories saying apple makes the caps key slower intentionally BUT this is not what the problem is on the new Macbook pros. You see I went back to my apple store and tried the ones they had on display and low and behold NO problem! The caps lock on the machines on display was completley responsive everytime and belive me i made sure I tested more than one machine. So then I reported the fault. Some staff didnt know of a prob then over hearing whispers between them it seems its a BIG problem on the new machines so as a result I was advised to take it back. I dont know what your Apple stores are like but mine is packed and customer service is somewhat lacking even on Sat when I purchased the machine! I was pleased that when I reported the prob they took down the details and then told me they had recived emails from Apple HQ about this prob and it effected some machines. I took a refund because I was unsure all of a sudden about a machine that was designed and built by apple but seemingly was below standard. Having never owned an apple before this really put me off. That said, whilst I had it I was impressed by the Mac OS for its ease of use and so I may get one again. I might have even walked out the store last night with a replacment but couldnt because they only had matt screens left which I didnt want. Now I read on the forums and via this site and apple insider that the Peryn based machines might actually be SLOWER than the old ones thanks to a clever decision to reduce the size of the catch. What the heck??? Yes I know they improved the speed but overall it seems Peryn isnt much of an upgrade. Also the basic multitouch didnt seem as useful as I had hoped although as I have said I was a new user so was not able to really benifit from it anyway. MY ADVICE: If you have a new macbook pro and the caps (or other keys are not working properly) TAKE IT BACK b4 your 14days runs out. THIS IS A FAULT. For those of us who have been waiting for months for these machines and had this happen this is really disopointing. Apples website boasts "it just works" yeah right!!

8. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

im glad to hear that it's a real problem. trust me i'm gonna be going friday to try to sort this thing out.

9. phatcat macrumors regular

10. rmarinheira macrumors member

Hi everyone!

Maybe that's not an issue but a feature!

I remember reading in a forum that the november revision of macbooks had a feature that consisted in a caps lock that is activated just if you press it for more than1 or 2 seconds in order to prevent accidental caps lock press!

I have't received my MBP yet but since the keyboard layout was renewed, maybe apple introduced this caps lock feature as well....

Can you test this and post results?

Regards

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

pressing around my new MBP Caps Lock Key, I find this as a nice feature rather than a defect or issue. ( though an option to enable / disable would be nice for those who would like it off )

12. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Jesus, is your enter key broken or what? Paragraphs man, paragraphs...or people like me won't even try to read that solid block of text. :p

13. tazzzer macrumors newbie

ok so first off on the paragraphs needed in my last responce. Yes ok I could have used them no need to be negative Radio.

Anyways I know already some people say its a feature but..

It may be the case that you guys are actually confussing a feature that may well be present on macbook pros with a real fault that sounds simialr but just isnt. The proof for me came when i tested other new macbook pros in the apple store to find the responce on the caps lock key absolutley fine. Staff in store checked out my machine and admitted it was a fault as well so guys if apple staff tell me im not making this up your just going to have to belive me. Also, on the machines I tested in store this delay feature some of you mention didnt seem to be present at all and ive spent quite a while the last few days reading conflicting reports about this issue. I am not convinced a delayed key responce is "built in" because as I said not all macbook pros from what I have seen and what others on different forums are reporting seem to have the "feature." This all said what I experienced (and I am certain many others because of what was admitted to me instore about a lot of complaints about the issue to apple) it is a genuine problem.

On another matter, I still remain annoyed about the decision to reduce the catch on the machines and I guess a number of other people are to.

Tazzzer

14. phatcat macrumors regular

I'm on my Penryn MBP and performing a rapid key test on the caps lock, and it won't turn on. If I slow down, it turns on. i think this is a good feature however may take some time to adjust.

Another intersting point. With rapid key strokes caps lock will not turn on. However if caps lock is on, and I rapidly press it, it'll always go off and stay off if I rapidly keep pressing.

15. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

i read some of those apple docs from their tech support. they mention it being a feature in their new keyboards, but not on any of their notebooks. even so, i have this issue on my return key. if i press the button on the left side of it sometimes does no register and the key does go down. if this is a feature i'd like to hear it from them or at least acknowledge it in their docs. it's more of a piece of mind thing rather than a deal breaker, who doesn't want their products free from defects.

16. tazzzer macrumors newbie

Hey guys, read that some still think we might be talking about a feature here but let me point out somthing I said earlier..

I took it back to the Apple store and THEY agreed it just was not right

Also

They also said Apple is reciving complaints about it.

So..

This is not a feature. I am not saying there isnt such a feature but then again if there is I rapidly pressed caps lock on display models in store and it worked everytime. It seems this special feature is only available if your unluckly enough to get a machine with it although again the issue I reported is seperate to this and is a fault. As for the feature well if it is then Apple need to give an option to switch it off because its not one I want for one.

Thanks

17. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

just thought i'd update my situation, got my replacement without a hitch and this return key actually works as it's suppose to. the caps lock while still slow at times, is noticeably better than the previous one i got.

18. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Sorry to break it to you guys, if you're still typing using caps lock, chances are you're not typing very fast. Use shift instead (I used to use caps lock too until I discovered the wonders of shift).

As for the keys, yes my capslock has that problem, but my enter key works perfectly.

19. triforcer thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe, i only use caps lock to check out the cool green LED :D the return key was the real issue.

20. VincentPun macrumors member

I tried to read it. Then I gave up.