Problems with the right speaker on my new 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moleman, May 15, 2008.

1. Moleman macrumors newbie

So I got my new 15" MBP (2.6GHz and 4GB ram) about 2 months ago. And I was really happy with it until three weeks ago when my right speaker stopped working. All it did was emitting a constant high pitch sound. Not that loud, but enough to give me headaches.

The left speaker works properly though. When I play music (or any kind of sound), the right speaker wont play it at all. It'll just keep playing the high pitch sound.

And the sound wont stop even if I mute the sound. But if I plug in a headset or some external speakers the sound stops. So that's what I have been doing lately. I've been forced to plug in a headset even if I don't need sound, just to shut it up.

Also, both speakers work fine when I use external speakers.

But yesterday, the annoying sound went away, and both speakers worked fine until about an hour ago. But now it's kind of different, I can only hear the sound when other sounds are being played(and a little while after).
    Even at the startup sound. (When I turn on the computer)
    I'm guessing until the sound device get deactivated or something like that.

I've been looking all over the place for a fix, but this doesn't seem to be like any of those cpu whine problems and stuff like that.

I'm really hoping for this to be a fixable software issue, since I don't want to wait for a replacement or reparation. I mean, I was sure that the actual speaker was busted until it started working fine for a while yesterday.

Anyways, thanks for your time :p

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like hardware. Could be a loose cable / connection, but I would get it checked out by AppleCare.