Problems with Trackpad and Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ankaa, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ankaa macrumors 6502

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, our magic trackpad (2) started to act up on our iMac (late 2015). It would start stuttering and eventually will lose the connection altogether. We used it with the lightning cable for a while and after some time it was working again. Until maybe a week ago, when the same things repeated. Now it will connect, but nothing happens. It will connect (and show up as 'connected' in the bluetooth preferences), but will loose the connection again, shortly after, even when connecting manually (from the menu).

All that time, the bluetooth keyboard was fine, until today, when it suddenly stopped working. Now, it will show the same pattern of disconnecting shortly after connecting. For both devices, you can't have any inputs during the short time they are connected.

Troubleshooting so far:

- both batteries are full
    - turned Bluetooth and devices off and on a million times
    - removed devices from bluetooth list and paired again
    - plists in library/preferences and library/MyHosts deleted
    - PRAM reset

The keyboard is working flawlessly on a macbook. The trackpads connects on the same macbook, but won't show up as bluetooth trackpad and hence no setting can be changed. That is with the macbook sitting right in front of the iMac, i.e. keyboard and trackpad are at the same location as before.

I am aware that bluetooth might interfere with WiFi. However, we haven't changed anything and it was working fine for weeks. Some kind of interference also appears less likely in regard that the keyboard was still working fine despite the trackpad acting up - and the keyboard still working fine on the macbook.
    It might be something in the apartment above ours, but can't ask our neighbors to move their stuff...

Any ideas are very much appreciated.

2. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

What kind of USB 3.0 devices do you have connected?

3. Ankaa, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

None.

I have one wireless adapter for my Wacom, but the problem persists with or without the adapter (and the tablet in the vicinity).

I've just connected an old bluetooth keyboard (also Apple) to the iMac and it also works flawlessly. :eek:

4. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

So, now the trackpad stays connected, but still, no reaction/input. Also, it shows up as 'no battery' despite it having a completely full battery.

The #1 keyboard is the old one, that keeps working flawlessly. I somehow suspect it has nothing to do with bluetooth interference, but what else could it be?

Attached Files:

5. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

So,

In the meantime I also tried to reset the bluetooth module and all devices through the debug menu. Nothing.

Yesterday evening I installed the latest El Capitan Update and magically, both the keyboard and trackpad were working again. This morning, the trackpad was working, but a little slaggish, so I tried to reset it again - now I'm back where I started. Both show up with empty batteries when connected and either stay connected (but nonfunctional) or disconnect.

Any help is very very very much appreciated. I'm at a loss here, but taking a 27" iMac into the Apple Store sure is a hassle, so I would prefer to test any other options, first (especially since it was working after the update, yesterday). It does seem to be a software glitch of some sort, no?

6. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the problem persists. I've been using both the keyboard and the trackpad with the lightning cable for the past weeks. That's really frustrating when using 2.5k worth of hardware...

I tried everything, even the last OS update didn't help. Last week, just out of curiosity, I plugged both cables out and both keyboard and trackpad were magically working again...for four days, until everything is back to that nonfunctional stage.

I'm at a loss, it seems to be in the OS (there are error messages regarding bluetooth in the console), but I don't know what else to do.

Anyone? Please :( I love Apple, but it really takes away the fun of 'just using it without issues'.

7. George Dawes macrumors 6502

George Dawes

It's el crapitan = worst os apple have ever released imo , I've got two identical minis , one with yosemite one with el crapitan - the yosemite never has problems with bluetooth , the other one is a total nightmare , today the mouse started lagging only on mail , tried restarting no help - ended up having to use a trackpad...

Apple really have gown the drain recently

8. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, we had no issues at all with El Capitan on our old 2012 iMac with the old keyboard and trackpad...

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you "upgraded" then run the free application EtreCheck and run it. It will be like a System Report on steroids and will show if older plugins, hackies, programs are slowing down your "upgrade" show YOU can delete it.

10. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502

No, we got the iMac with El Capitan only a few months ago. The older iMac, where it was working fine, was upgraded, though.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Run it on an Upgraded system anyway, you'll be surprised!

12. Ankaa thread starter macrumors 6502