Problems with Trackpad and Microsoft Word/Office on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iaredada, Mar 24, 2010.

1. iaredada macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac last month thinking my days of computer issues were over. For about 2 weeks now, on and off, my trackpad/cursor randomly goes crazy. It is unresponsive or slow and most of the time it just goes where it wants; i don't even have to be touching any area on the trackpad. I'm a student, so you can imagine how frustrating it might be to try and type a 4 page essay with the cursor randomly highlighting text that gets deleted as you're typing. I'm almost positive it's connected to microsoft word. I didn't notice any problems until I downloaded and installed an update for word (i had previously installed the trial version of office 2008 for mac.) the problem persists even after quitting word and restarting the computer. i think it happens without my opening word, but it's more frequent and persistent when i have been using word. i tried uninstalling it, but i had to reinstall it a couple hours later in order to write a paper.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it connected to Word? Or is it just trackpad issues with the macbook pro? I'll downgrade to a macbook if the problem is going to continue.

I forgot to add that plugging in a physical mouse doesn't even help the problem; the two just battle each other. It's only slightly better than trying to navigate with the trackpad.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Word doesn't do anything with your mouse. We just take the calls from the OS. I'd schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store -- this sounds like you've got a hardware problem with your trackpad. Check the edges of your trackpad, maybe you got a crumb in there that's making it detect movement/clicks?

Regards,
    Nadyne.