Problems with Transferring Ripped Videos and Movies

Discussion in 'iPod' started by filsner, Jul 25, 2007.

1. filsner macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this so I guess I am one of those "newbies". I am just looking for help with my ipod(30gb vid) and need a little help.

Here is my problem:

I can dowload movies in MP4 format, load them into itunes and actually watch them. But, one I try to watch it on my iPod, I get a blank screen for about 10 seconds and then it goes back to the video menu.

I am not that new to ipod/itunes. I have a large library of movies and frequently swap out movies for new ones and have never had this problem.

Could someone please reply, I would really appreciate it if someone could email me @ filsnerlite@hotmail.com , because I am not sure if I know how to get back to this posting, as a "newbie" I dont know how to know when someone has replied. Sorry for the lenghty explaination. I am sure there is a forum rule against this many words and i apologize. THanks from one Mac user to another.
    -Matt

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Hmmm... that could be a toughie. Where are you getting these movies from? the iTunes store? Somewhere "else"?

Usually I'd suggest your movie is in a format that's not compatible with the iPod, but in my experience they shouldn't even copy to the iPod if they won't be able to be played there.

OK, try this. Pick one video file in iTunes (any one, a short one if you don't have a lot of time) and right-click (or cmd-click) on it and select "Convert Selection for iPod". Let it do it's thing, then sync the newly converted file to iPod and try to play it (make sure you're syncing the NEW file, not the old one again).

Maybe there's something slightly wrong with the video format / codec used to encode / file size or type or something.

3. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

If you own the movie you can rip it using MactheRipper and burn it to an iPod format using DVDRemaster. That's what I use and I've never had problems.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

can you open the movie in quicktime, hit :apple:+i and take a screenshot of that window that opens up?? this will tell us what the settings are of the movies and what exactly is wrong.

5. L3X macrumors 6502a

OP, what program are you using to encode them to m4p? Also, what resolution are you using?