:: Problems with Translator Widget

tangent23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
A few days ago the translation widget went wonky.. it won't accept text input and the second field only has english.. the background graphics also seem truncated.. checked google and a few other people are having the same problem..

the only thing different i can think is i have downloaded a couple of other widgets, but i didn't think they could affect each other..

anybody else having this problem?

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
tangent23 said:
A few days ago the translation widget went wonky.. it won't accept text input and the second field only has english.. the background graphics also seem truncated.. checked google and a few other people are having the same problem..

the only thing different i can think is i have downloaded a couple of other widgets, but i didn't think they could affect each other..

anybody else having this problem?
Mine is working fine. If you have a certain translate from selected (Chinese, Japanese, or Russian) then English will be the only translate to allowed. I don't know if that's your problem, but that's one possible cause I could think of.

tangent23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
no it is a bit strange, it's definitely behaving wierdly.. i found a couple of people with the same prob but not many so i'm not sure what it could be..

it's a hassle cause my brother uses it quite a bit..

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
It behaves strangely for me too sometimes.

Anyone else having issues with the unit convertor widget as well? It randomly deletes what I type in every now and again. Give it a try, type something in and wait a few seconds and see if it disappears - then let me know if it's just me!

tangent23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
has anybody found a solution?

i tried something suggested on another site and changed users, and it works fine there, so what would be the best way of going about fixing the problem?

it's annoying..

milesd

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Vienna Austria
Problems with Translator Widget

Hello tangent23,

I ran into the same problem with the translator widget and this was
driving me mad.

So I tryed following and this helped:

Open Finder and go into the Library->Caches folder located in your
home folder.
Go there to the folder named
DashboardClient
and delete it's entire contents (there will be sub-folder's named like
00, 01, 02, etc.)

Then go to the Library->Preferences folder and delete there the
file named: widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist

Now make sure that you are connected to the internet. Start Dashboard.
The translation widget will conect to the Internet.
After that everything shall work fine. At least it did in my case!

Good Luck and best regards!