Problems with Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpbl68, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jpbl68 macrumors member

(I just searched the rules for 'torrents' and nothing came up so I'm assuming that it's OK to talk about p2p clients, if not I apologise in advance)

I'm using Transmission 1.75, Leopard 10.5.8, BT Home Hub with UPnP enabled and I've tested that it's working (my PS3 had no problems getting online and playing games).

I'm having trouble seeding. It seems that people aren't able to see/connect to my computer. I've set my firewall to allow connections to Transmission (I've also tried using other clients), I've set my router and Transmission to UPnP, I've also tried using a static IP but that knocked me offline, I've tried port forwarding but that didn't work either. I'm not sure what else to try. Has anyone had a similar problem, if so how did you fix it?

2. springyfox macrumors member

BT Block known common P2P points - I would imagine that this is your problem.

I think you can change the ports for seeding etc, although not sure how without looking further into it.

3. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

Some files from major sites will seed automatically. The files that won't seed are part of a more private community (I don't know how else to describe it) but I've no idea why that should make any difference.

4. springyfox macrumors member

Hmmmm, I am by no means a P2P expert, but I think, that some private trackers etc will use different ports than public ones.

Try connecting transmission through a torrent proxy (I have no idea about which ones are any good), and see if that makes any difference. If you can see what port the seeding is being attempted with, try pinging the seed server using that port and see if you get a response.

5. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

The port Transmission is using is open (verified this with canyouseeme.org) and the files claim to be seeding. However, T isn't uploading as it hasn't recognised any leeches. I've checked the tracker's website and I can see that there are several people downloading the files in question. I'm making progress but I'm still not sure what's going on.

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The ports are random, I thought...
    By no means an expert in these, but since you can set the port yourself, I always figured the tracker kept your address in a standard IP:port format so that other clients know how to connect.

7. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what happened but it's working now, just very slowly. Cheers lads.