Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gb1631

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
I'm having problems with Turbotax 2011. I installed the application on my iMac i7 running OS 10.7.2.

The application after it was installed and started advised me there were updates to the program. On going for the updates two screens came up the larger one indicating it was installing update #1. Then a smaller screen comes up and say's it's D/Ling the updates. The smaller screen keeps repeating itself over and over again without any real progress. I had to foce the application to be able to access restart. The smaller screen stays on the screen until the restart.

If you choose not to do the updates the program will run and you will be able to input info from your 2010 Turbotax and place other info into your tax form.

The Turbotax people are aware of this and are convinced it has to do with the update to 10.7.2.

I tried it today and it was still doing the thing as I described it! :(

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Just tried the TurboTax 2011 Updater and it was totally screwed up. The patches didn't complete and the patcher crashed on every attempt to update the program. I have all of the crash logs recorded so I'll send e-mail to Intuit telling them their program sucks.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Intuit? Having been a Quicken and TurboTax user for well past a decade but only a Mac user for three years I can confirm that Intuit software for Mac just plain sucks. . . big time.

The TurboTax I bought last year had both Mac and Windows versions on the disk. The Mac version barely worked but the Windows version was flawless. While Intuit's Mac issues most likely aren't the fault of Apple the reality is that Quicken and TurboTax for Windows are excellent products that, like they say, just work. The Mac versions are worthless.

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
TurboTax and Lion 10.7.2

We are aware that TurboTax fails to automatically complete the update when you're running the latest version of Apple's Lion (10.7.2). A TurboTax update scheduled for December 15 will correct that. As it is right now, if you just let TurboTax finish the automated update attempt, it will eventually link you to a support page where you can manually update the product. Alternatively, you can go to our website (http://tinyurl.com/TTMacUpdate2011) for further information on this issue and steps to take to complete the updates.

As for the TurboTax Mac vs. Windows comments, I switched over to Mac about 2 years ago, but still use the Windows version extensively. I actually prefer the Mac version of TurboTax now. Honestly, I don't know what kind of problems you're experiencing but I can state that they are not consistent with the vast majority of other Mac customers. Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback and will share it with the team.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

gb1631

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
We are aware that TurboTax fails to automatically complete the update when you're running the latest version of Apple's Lion (10.7.2). A TurboTax update scheduled for December 15 will correct that. As it is right now, if you just let TurboTax finish the automated update attempt, it will eventually link you to a support page where you can manually update the product. Alternatively, you can go to our website (http://tinyurl.com/TTMacUpdate2011) for further information on this issue and steps to take to complete the updates.

As for the TurboTax Mac vs. Windows comments, I switched over to Mac about 2 years ago, but still use the Windows version extensively. I actually prefer the Mac version of TurboTax now. Honestly, I don't know what kind of problems you're experiencing but I can state that they are not consistent with the vast majority of other Mac customers. Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback and will share it with the team.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

Going to the website one can not D/L a Mac update as in the Mac column is say's contact us. So, I guess the answer is to wait for December 15 or when we get an e-mail that it is fixed. :apple:

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
gb131... Yes, we do want you to contact us so we can send you a specific update to correct the updating problem, which manifests itself only with OS 10.7.2. Alternatively, drop me an email by visiting me at http://tinyurl.com/bmeighan. This will be the fastest way.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

gb1631

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
gb131... Yes, we do want you to contact us so we can send you a specific update to correct the updating problem, which manifests itself only with OS 10.7.2. Alternatively, drop me an email by visiting me at http://tinyurl.com/bmeighan. This will be the fastest way.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

I followed up on this with Mr. Meighan. He gave me a link to a Turbotax download. I was able to D/L it and ran it on OS 10.7.2 and an older computer using OS 10.4.11. The new version said there were no updates and continued on to the application. Hopefully, when there are updates to the application it will D/L the updates and then go on to the application, without going into a 'spin.' ;):apple:

Also, I'm hoping to get an updated TurboTax CD once they have completed any fixes needed to get updates, etc.

BTW: I have been a Turbotax user on Mac's for a number of years. This is the first time I have had a real problem with the application I'm very satisfied with the application as well as the good service I have received from the VP and other Staff I have been in contact with on this glitch in the application. I will continue to use Turbotax to do my taxes.

Last edited:

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Why? Never had to before in all the years I've been using Turbotax (since 2007).

I can only tell you the other poster who recommended this is right. Worked for me. And OSX is becoming more Windows like in that regard. A shutdown and reboot seems to cure some ills. YMMV

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
TurboTax doesn't require a reboot, but it does require a restart of the application. Nevertheless, if a reboot does the trick for your Mac, well then do it. By the way, the Mac team would be terribly offended if anyone suggested they were making the TurboTax for Mac more like Windows. They are crazy Mac fans and would never dream of doing such a thing!

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

Slower Pace

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
La Grande, Oregon, USA
Mac version off in calculations

I install TurboTax on both my PC and my Mac. The PC version is a much better product (both programs are on the same disk). I enter exactly the same figures into both, and this year the PC version saved me over $400. In the Mac version, I had to pay a couple hundred! What? Same figures, same everything, but different results. Needless to say, i submitted the PC version to the IRS.

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Slower pace... You must not have entered the same information. TurboTax uses the exact same calculations / calculation engine for both Windows, Mac and Online. Please check your entries.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I am curious, what is the advantage of buying the software instead of using the website?

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Jackc... First, you'll want to compare pricing between the software and the Online versions of TurboTax (see http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/ for price comparisons and other info) . Other than pricing considerations, the TurboTax software is virtually identical between software and Online service. However, it's probably helpful to know that approximately 70% of our customers now use TurboTax Online.

Here are some other considerations:

Pro for TurboTax software:
1. If you prepare multiple returns, the software version will be a better value.
2. If you want to interactively view and work directly on forms, the software version wins. However, most customers just use the Interview, which is the same in both versions.
3. Power users prefer software because they have more flexibility and access to tax forms.

Pros for TurboTax Online:
1. No software to install or update.
2. Your files are always backed up and you don't need to manage them year-over-year.
3. Easy access from any web enabled computer.

If you're new to TurboTax, I generally recommend TurboTax Online.

I hope this info helps.
Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I switched to TurboTax Online several years ago and it has worked very well for me. No crashes, no issues. I prefer the online version since I don't like to install software I'm only going to use once.

bmeighan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Sanirene... TurboTax works just fine under OS 10.7.2. There was an issue just after the release of this operating system where there was a problem updating. That has been fixed. Keep in mind that my comments are for the U.S. version of TurboTax so if you're thinking of the Canadian version, I can't say what may or may not work with their version.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Sanirene... TurboTax works just fine under OS 10.7.2. There was an issue just after the release of this operating system where there was a problem updating. That has been fixed. Keep in mind that my comments are for the U.S. version of TurboTax so if you're thinking of the Canadian version, I can't say what may or may not work with their version.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

Thanks for participating in the forum. I finished my taxes as usual using the TurboTax Windows version. Just like in previous years it worked perfectly. I filed electronically, the refunds are already in the bank, couldn't be happier with the product.

I didn't even install TurboTax on my Mac this year. The real problem is Quicken. Until there's a real Quicken for Mac that imports ALL Quicken for Windows data and performs the same tasks filing taxes will always be a Windows job for me. Quicken essentials is an easy, lightweight banking app but, as they might say, it ain't no real Quicken.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
Thanks for participating in the forum. I finished my taxes as usual using the TurboTax Windows version. Just like in previous years it worked perfectly. I filed electronically, the refunds are already in the bank, couldn't be happier with the product.

I didn't even install TurboTax on my Mac this year. The real problem is Quicken. Until there's a real Quicken for Mac that imports ALL Quicken for Windows data and performs the same tasks filing taxes will always be a Windows job for me. Quicken essentials is an easy, lightweight banking app but, as they might say, it ain't no real Quicken.

I agree. The Mac version is utterly crippled and they seem to think since Mac users like simplicity, that simplicity = removing 90% of the features that the Windows version has.

robpele

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Continuing problems with Turbotax mac 2011

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

Dear Bob,

I must take issue with much of what you have said on this forum. I have a 2009 imac dual core intel running OS 10.6.8. I bought TT several weeks ago, installed it. Tried to update it-very long, involved update failed several times. Called TT support (as per instructions) Very nice tech support person seemed clueless, but provided me with access to a download version. Installed that. worked fine until I tried to file electronically. TT said I needed updates before I could file. - went through same failed update process as with original install- several tries- no success. I have used turbotax mac for many years, back when it was macintax. Never had problems like these. At this point I would not advice anyone to use Turbotax 2011 on a Mac.

FurryOne

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
TurboTax & loss of a Spouse

Here's one place TurboTax 2011 Mac is royally screwed up - If your Spouse died in 2011, TT doesn't pass the correct information to the IRS, and both your Fed & State e-files are rejected! I spent over an hour on the phone trying to get this straightened out, and TT's solution was to "mail your forms and pay the mailing penalty." ...And the number of people getting this is piling up. The error code from IRS is IND-022 - "If 'PINTypeCode' in the Return Header has the value "Self-Select On-Line" and 'SpouseSignature' has a value, then 'SpouseDateofBirth' must have a value." TT puts "Filing as surviving spouse" in your ex-Spouse's signature block, and somehow this triggers a failure because of a missing DOB or something. TT doesn't give you a case # or code, or even say they'll look into it - they just blame the IRS. :mad:

Last edited:

KKK22030

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Turbo tax quits unexpectedly

Bought TT 2011 Home & Business. When tried to enter my stock options the software closed. Try to resolve the issue with TT chat, they send me a new copy but it didn't work either. Very frustrating! Now I have to buy a new software that could accept my options!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.