Problems with UPS and Apple's "pre-sign for delivery option"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brentsg, Dec 16, 2011.

1. brentsg macrumors 68040

I placed a relatively small order from Apple's online store ($150) for a Christmas gift.

Since I'm at work for the UPS delivery time, I printed out Apple's pre-sign form, filled that out, and affixed it to my door.

I came home expecting the package, but instead I found one of UPS' sticky notes taped to my waiver. I called and it was explained that I should just put the waiver on the door again, that the agent must not have seen it (yeah, right).

Second attempt and the same thing happened, so I called the 800#. UPS told me that the local folks would come up with a solution and call me. Well, they called.. They explained that since Apple's pre-sign waivers do not have a barcode, UPS cannot honor them. My choices were to be home, visit the UPS hub (2 hour round trip), or return it to the sender.

I called Apple and they just told me to allow it to be returned. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Is there a reason you couldn't just SIGN the Infonotice?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/infonotice.html

Given that Apple had a pre-sign form, I doubt they require an in-person signature...

3. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, when I spoke with them on the phone they told me that they would not accept the signed infonotice. They specifically told me that my choices were to either be home, or drive to their hub.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

5. kayakjamie macrumors newbie

It must be your neighborhood

UPS left a 32" TV on my door step without a signature and I did not sign any waiver. I think I had to sign for my iPad.

6. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

Can't have it shipped to work.

It's also definitely not the neighborhood. It's as safe as it could possibly get, and my porch isn't even visible from the street. I've had multi-thousand dollar packages left on the porch and wouldn't hesitate a moment. For years I had a waiver on file at Fedex to leave anything and everything.

The local UPS folks were simply stupid. They wouldn't accept the pre-sign from Apple's website, no discussion. The corporate folks at the call center told me repeatedly that the locals were not following proper procedure, but that they have the "final say" anyways. It's even more ridiculous because I know the delivery person and she gave me the same line as her boss. Basically said it was out of her hands due to how Apple shipped the parcel.

I guess this is isolated, based on the replies.

I did finally receive the package, but not before I wasted a lot of time.. told them to return to sender.. and placed a second order for pickup at the closest Apple store. I had asked if UPS could swing back by a second time, since the first delivery was at 3PM. Of course they said no. However, if I had an item for them to pick up then they'd come back. I didn't ask for this, and I wasn't told it was happening. The person at the call center scheduled a phantom pick-up at my home so that the driver would return to my house. When she did, I got the package. She asked if I really had a pick-up, then explained what had been done. Basically she got tricked into coming back.

It's nuts that this happened with an iPod. I've had iPads, MacBook Pro's, even a Mac Pro left on my doorstep by UPS. I used the pre-sign every time.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This sounds a lot like your local UPS office is staffed by some serious *******s!

My local UPS folks will leave stuff if leave a handwritten note saying I will take responsibility, include the tracking number and a signature. I have even used a copy of the Apple supplied FedEx form that I had for some other item where I whited out the tracking number and added the UPS number.

I think you have a local problem. The only suggestion I can make is for you to go as high up the UPS chain of command as possible to register a complaint about your local office.