Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atypical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
I have had this problem for a while now. I notice it with my external hds and my new shuffle i just got. For instance when I plug my external hds in, i see them on my desktop then a minute or two they disappear and I can reopen them unless i replug them back in then the same thing happens. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Atypical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
I am still having this problem but it is only with my western digital external hard drives- both of them. It will show up on my desktop for so long then it just disappears and ejects itself. I don't seem to get an error message when it does this, but if it happens during file transfer, I just ignore the multiple error messages that pop up and it stays connected. Dunno remember what the error message said. Let me know if you guys can offer any suggestions as to why it is doing this. Thank you!

Atypical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
the error message i get is
"The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off."
"To eject a disk, select it in the Finder and choose File > Eject. The next time you connect the disk, Mac OS X will attempt to repair any damage to the information on the disk."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.