Problems with USB hub

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blake836, Jan 7, 2010.

1. blake836 macrumors newbie

Hi I am pretty new to macs but can not seem to find an answer for this online although I have seen other people reporting similar problems.

I have a little 4 port non powered USB 2 hub, I also went today and bought a powered version. However when I connect either both are ridiculously slow when using them for transfering files to my USB memory stick. However the memory stick works fine when connected to my imac direct.

This is on my 20" imac btw running snow leopard.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is it a USB 2.0 hub? A lot of hubs, particularly unpowered hubs, are still 1.1 or run at 1.1 speeds. Bear in mind that it's trying to transfer 4 ports worth for data through one USB cable, so you will never get the same kinds of speeds as if you connected directly to the computer. Personally, I plug all of my external hard drives directly into my computer.

3. blake836 thread starter macrumors newbie

The hub is definetly USB 2. I only want to use it so I don't have to reach behind the machine to connect my memory stick to my imac. I don't have any other devices connected to the hub.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You might find that a USB extension cable works better.

5. blake836 thread starter macrumors newbie

True but there is no reason a hub should not work.

Frustrating!

I read some were thats macs auto default all usb ports to the slowest device connected. If this was true this would explain it as my printer is connected with a 1.1 cable.

Can anyone clarify if this is true or not.