Problems with USB Ports on 2012 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugp, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I am having an issue with USB 2.0 devices when plugging it into any USB port on my MBP.

Most of the time when I plug it in it only shows up as up to 12Mbps. For my wireless mouse this is fine and it still works. But with my Game Capture it will not function with the software at all. It powers the device but will not initialize the device.

Here is an example of the mouse receiver doing it.
    [​IMG]

When the capture devices shows up under this it doesn't work. For it to work properly it has to appear like this...
    [​IMG]

A work around I have found for now to get it to work without repeatedly unplugging and plugging it back in to mount correctly is to use a USB Hub for now.

Has anyone else had any issues with USB 2.0 Devices? I have applied all updates that have been released from Apple.

This also happens booted into Windows 7 as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Could it be the device itself? I've never had any issues plugging in USB 2.0 or 3.0 devices, and the MacBook using them appropriately.

3. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

The Capture Device works every time I plug it in on my Late '09 iMac. Has never once failed to mount properly at 480Mbps like it should.

4. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Well that rules that out. That's certainly odd. Does your '08 Mac run Mountain Lion as well?

You might need to take this one to the genius bar (should still be under warranty right?). Sounds like it could be a hardware issue, rather than a software issue.

5. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

Yes, it is running ML as well. My problem with taking it in is that I don't live near an Apple Store. I am over an hour from the closest one.

I am hoping I didn't have to go that route since I have to swap out the Data Doubler back to the Optical Drive before any Service can be done.

6. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I feel your pain there.

Hmm...

The part that bugs me is the fact that the symptoms are retained in Windows 7. Two operating systems on the same computer exhibiting the same symptoms usually means a hardware issue. Do you have other USB 2.0 devices? You mentioned a mouse but it's possible it's a USB 1.1 device. If other USB 2.0 devices have the same issue, in both OS'es, then that really narrows it down to a hardware issue, unfortunately.

Quick caveat though, are you BOOTING into Windows 7, or running it in a virtual machine? This is important, because if you are running it in a virtual machine you are sharing resources with Mac OS X. If you are booting into Windows 7 using Boot Camp, then it is running on it's own.