Problems with using the new MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hanasamo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. hanasamo macrumors newbie

Hi All, It's very nice to be part of this forum. Since this is my first time posting a thread here and English is not my native language, please forgive me if anything in my thread is not appropriate.

I was given a MacBook Pro by my current employer, since I am leaving the company I need to do something with my new MacBook Air, and the followings are the problems I got so far.

IOS apps transfer to new iTunes libarary
    I got hundreds of apps for IOS in iTunes on my old computer, when I was trying to sync my iPhone with my new computer, it said that all my apps on iPhone will be replaced by my library which is 100% empty. And I didn't find any way to transfer all my purchased apps to my new computer. What's the best way to do this?

MAC OS apps transfer
    My old computer has iWork and Office2011 installed, but those are not purchased from the MAC app store. And I didn't find the image file for those installed files in the old computer, my question is that how I can transfer those apps to my new computer without re-purchasing them.

Remove apps or turn off updates tracking for specific apps on both mac os and iOS.
    This is a long term question for me. My old iTunes library keeps tracking available updates for me. Since there are some apps I will never reuse again, how can I turn off updates tracking in iTunes? And can I delete specific apps from iTunes library for the purpose of reducing size of the library?

I tried searching for answers to my questions here but didn't succeed, and I don't want to call the technical support. Really appreciate if you could answer all my questions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Migration Assistant could take care of transferring the applications, and if you hadn't started using the computer yet, could've been good for iTunes as well. I would instead just transfer the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the new one, which will include the applications along with the music, but more importantly, won't require it to sync as though connecting to a new library; it will simply continue to sync because it's the same iTunes Library.

For not getting updates to apps, I would just delete them from iTunes if you don't use them anymore. You can also hide them from your Purchased list in the iTunes Store, which may stop those notifications.

jW

3. hanasamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your response. I kinda worked out a way for 2 of my questions.

If I simply copy Office 2011 folder from my old computer to my new one, will that work? That's my last question.

4. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Yes it will work. Keep in mind all of your Data though is in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data

5. hanasamo thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried coping and pasting the folder to my new computer, but it didn't work. Here is the error message I got when I tried to open the app.

"The office for mac installation did not complete successfully because there was a problem with the installer. to fix the issue, please reinstall office for mac."

6. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Sounds like its missing some info from the installer file in the User Data Folder. You may be forced to reinstall or use Migration Assistant to move it over.