Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xelan101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
First off I'm not absolutely certain this is the right foum to post in sorry.

Anyway. I am attempting to install a driver for my Hyperpen 8000u tablet. It is a third party driver (as Aiptek does not make a driver for the Mac) Which came in a zip file when I downloaded it. I opened it via Stuff-It and what came out was a VISE installer for the driver. When I attempt to install the driver VISE opens up and comes to the part where I click install it flickers to the install bar for a second and then returns to where I have to click install. It will do this over and over no matter what I do. Please help!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It sounds possible the installer got corrupt. Have you tried re-downloading the file? Another to look for, open Console (/Applications/Utilities/) and the next time you try the installation see if any new messages appear. The messages will be time stamped so you'll be able to see which ones are new. The messages may provide some clues to what's going wrong. Post those messages here if you need help.

Xelan101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I tried redownloading the file, but the problem persists. I looked in Applications/Utilities but I could not find a section that would show me error messages. If you could specify further, or if you have any other advice that would be great.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I tried redownloading the file, but the problem persists. I looked in Applications/Utilities but I could not find a section that would show me error messages. If you could specify further, or if you have any other advice that would be great.

There's an application named Console in that Utilities folder. That's what you should check in.

Xelan101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Ok, thanks, sorry about that. I found Console and it looks like there are error messages pertaining to VISE. They all say

7/12/09 9:48:11 PM [0x0-0xa20a2].com.MindVision.InstallerVISE chown: root.wheel: Invalid argument

I hope this is something you recognize, and more importantly could help me fix. Regardless of whether or not there is a way to fix this issue, I thank you for your help thus far. :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
This thread over at Apple's support pages may have a fix, but it's hard to say if it's the same problem or not.

Also, are you running as an administrator or and standard user? If there's only one account on the machine then it's the administrator. It's possible the installer was ill-written. You may want to try contacting them about it to see if they can offer any assistance.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
It looks like the VISE installer is using a script to chown something after it has been installed, and is using the older notation: 'root.wheel'. This was never the recommended format (since user names can include a period), rather they should be (should have) used 'root:wheel'. Since the whole package is a binary blob, I am not sure you can change this for them.

Yet another reason why you should never use VISE.

Xelan101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I am the only user on the computer so yes I am running as an administrator. Unfortunately if there is a problem with the installer, I'm up a creek without a paddle as the site I got it from claims that all it does is store and release the files for download. There is no installer related support. The people who made the installer used VISE so I think I'm outta luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.