Problems with VMWare Fusion and NTFS partition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigmat1201, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bigmat1201 macrumors member

I downloaded and was trying to use the trial version of VMware Fusion, I already have 32bit Vista loaded through bootcamp and it works, but after I loaded fusion and tried to start the bootcamp partition it gives me an error "Could not create virtual disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine", the only thing I can think of is that the bootcamp partition is NTFS (Vista won't load FAT32 on a 100 GB part, if it can please tell me how.) but Fusion would have to support NTFS right? One problem could be that I can't get my NTFS part. to mount in OSX, it says to run first aid, and first aid fails. I have a feeling its not working because windows formated the HD, but there isn't a way for OSX to format NTFS is there? What am I doing wrong?

2. TonyTerjeson macrumors newbie

Boot Camp is Crap

Okay get this crap

I have not called and varifyed with the mac peoplebut i am going to call and make sure...

Vitsa no matter what says "You need to format your windows partion as NTFS"
    vista will not install onto your computer as fat32

Well NTFS like you said is read only
    which means you cant wright on it on your mac side.
    VMware fusion and parells lets you be able to drag and drop items from desktop to dekstop, which means you need to be able to wright on the drive. For some reason this messes up vmware fusion so you wont be able to open it on your mac side. You will only be able to open FAT32 formated drives
    and scence you cant have vista on fat32
    sucks for me and you
    :mad:

3. bigmat1201 thread starter macrumors member

so your saying that the only way to use VMWare or Parallels is to use Windows XP, since it will install on a FAT32 partition? like you said, this really sucks, I want to have DX10 for gaming, what am I supposed to do, triple boot my machine, XP, Vista and mac, thats stupid, THIS REALLY SUCKS, I'm going to apple store this weekend I'll ask them. Thanks for confirming this, I thought I was the only one that had figured this out, or I was missing something somewhere.