problems with Voyager OWC dock via eSATA - expresscard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I have the Sonnet Tempo Pro dual SATA expresscard (the fancy new expensive $200 one). I've been using it for months with an OWC Mercury Elite RAID 0.

I just bought the Voyager S2 (USB2 & eSATA) with a WD 2TB Green drive. Connected it works fine if I use it right away. But if I let some time pass anytime I try to read/write/anything on that drive my system halts. Even certain programs that aren't even affiliated with that drive stop working. If I force quit and try to relaunch those programs won't launch until I turn off the drive.

I turn off the drive and turn it back on and it works, at first... until I let some time pass. I can't tell if the drive it spinning down or not because it so quiet I can't hear anything.

I don't know if it's the drive, the expresscard (since I'm using both inputs), or the dock. For what it's worth, every possible input on my new 17" MBP is in use. Any ideas?

2. steffi macrumors 6502a

I've had poor experiences with the same device with the cheap APE eSata card. eSata has never worked reliably for me with the Voyager Q that I have here.