Problems with water damaged iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fxramirez, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fxramirez macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G that I dropped in water a while back. I put the phone in a sealed bag of rice and left it alone for about two days. I was able to power on the phone and charge it but there are some problems which I was hoping I could fix:

1) The colors of the screen were all bright after the water damage, and after a few months the colors are now darker and I have to have the brightness set at 1/4 or else it is very difficult to see anything. I know it isn't the screen that is damaged since I tested the phone with a new screen and nothing changes.

2) The ringer/silent toggle switch functions have been reversed. When I set it to vibrate, you don't feel the vibration which indicates that it's on vibrate. But when you set it to the ringer position it vibrates. I tested this also by taking the logic board and putting it into a working iPhone 3G assembly, and again there was no change. So I doubt it is the flex cable which includes the volume, headphone jack, and sleep/wake button.

What I want to know is if I can do anything about fixing these connections on the logic board. I have also noticed that the water damage indicators on the phone assembly are not colored pink, only the one inside the headphone jack. I've read elsewhere that the cause might be corrosion. I do not really know where to start with this problem so I'm hoping someone could help me out in explaining and giving me some instructions on how to fix it, thank you! :)

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The problem with water ingression is the corrosion that occurs inside even when its dry and working again.

Its issues waiting to happen.

Sometimes its better to let it go to Apple Heaven and invest your time and money on a new one !