Problems with Windows PCs seeing shares on Lion (no problem with Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mdsofky, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mdsofky, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

mdsofky macrumors newbie

I have 5 iMacs, 1 MacBook Pro and 1 Windows computers in our home. 3 iMacs and MacBook Pro now have Lion. Other two iMacs have Snow Leopard. I am fixing a couple of Windows computers for friends (so currently have XP and Windows 7 in the house). NONE of the Windows PCs can see the Lion shares. The Snow Leopard shares show up immediately in the "My Network Places". I can see Lion PCs only if I put in \\"computer name of Lion iMac" or the IP address. However, it then prompts for user name and password and no matter what I put in (guest, my username and password, my username and password, using the domain\user name then password, etc.), I get a

"...is not accessible. You might not have permission to sue this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred."

I also have a HP Color LaserJet with the ability to "scan to a folder" which worked fine under Snow Leopard, and now it can't see the share with Lion.

NOTHING has changed in my network other than the upgrades from Snow Leopard to Lion.

I called Apple using my AppleCare Protection and they referred me to HP and Microsoft. I said it's not an HP or Microsoft issue as NOTHING has changed on those PCs and my Snow Leopard macs still work fine. I then got "disconnected" (or hung up on).

Would love to know the answer to this if anyone has any ideas.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try searching the forums but I think I remember seeing something wrong with SMB sharing in Lion which is why you're having problems on your network but none with Snow Leopard.

3. mdsofky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I did look around and didn't see a fix, per se (but did find that others are having similar issues so at least I'm not the only one).