Problems With Wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TXCraig, Nov 25, 2008.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I've got some strange problems with the wireless on my MBA and wanted to know if anyone else has this problem.

I had a cable modem with a Airport Extreme hooked to it and things worked great. About a month ago, I had AT&T U-Verse installed. I tried to get my Airport to work with the new router and couldn't so I just decided to use the wireless part of the new 2-Wire router AT&T installed.

Ever since then, even though I can do a speed test from my MPA and get a reading of 17.5 MB (I have a 18 MB connection) BUT pages with pictures or flash load REAL slow. It takes me almost 2 mins to load the main CNN webpage. All web surfing from my MPA is real slow and I'm not getting my money's worth on my 18 MB connection.

So, your response might be.. the 2-Wire is a bad WAP, and I might agree but when I'm at my girlfriends house and she has Belkin WAP, my laptop crashes her WAP at least 3 times a day and she has a HP laptop and never has a problem with it.

So are Apple's aircards just picky and less compatible with non Apple WAPs? Are there any settings on my laptop that I can change to get it to work better?

Thanks for any information.

2. ercanbas macrumors regular

I think everyone has this problem and I think it is due to the aluminum frame interfering with the signals. The last gen MB never have those issues but are joining us with wireless problems now that they adopted the aluminum unibody. My wireless network is set up on the first floor and I am on the second floor. Both myself and my brother work from the second floor of our house. He has a PC laptop and I have the MBA and his reception is much better than mine. I hope Apple releases some sort of patch to fix this. Otherwise for now I am going to extend my network with an Airport Express.

Hope this helps.