Problems with Word and PP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crashgirl88, May 14, 2009.

1. crashgirl88 macrumors newbie

Okay, hopefully I managed to put this in the right spot. I tried to get on to Word today and when I hit the icon it just unexpectantly quit before even opening a page. It also does this with PP. However, Excel is fine and the weird thing is I can still open documents saved on my computer and I can get to word through excel, but this problem is a bit annoying. The only thing I can think I downloaded lately was some Flip Share software and an add on called "QuestHelper" for World of Warcraft. I doubt these caused my problem though.

Any ideas?

I'm running version 10.1.4. I just updated to Mac OS X 10.5.7 after I started having the problem to see if it would help, but no go.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't have Mac Office anymore, but I remember an app that came with it for updating Office (similar to Apple's Software Update app). Try running it and seeing if it can find any updates.

There's also the often used solution for application problems of deleting the preference file for the app. I don't have Office so can't tell you it's exact name, but those files are generally located in ~/Library/Preferences/ See this Guide for a little more info on this.

3. crashgirl88 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm....I tried deleting the preference file, but that didn't help. I tried to look for an auto updater, but I don't see one for my Word. So I went online and downloaded the only update from mactopia for my version of Office X, and it didn't seem to help.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Hmm, well you can see if a crash report was generated by the app. They are located at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. You can also look in the Console app (/Applications/Utilities/) right after the crash to see if there any messages that come up that could provide clues to the crash.

5. crashgirl88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how to read these things or if this is even what you were looking for, but here is what I could find.

/dev/rdisk1s2: fsck_hfs run at Thu May 14 10:58:24 2009
    ** /dev/rdisk1s2 (NO WRITE)
    ** Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file.
    ** Checking Catalog file.
    ** Checking multi-linked files.
    ** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    ** Checking volume bitmap.
    ** Checking volume information.
    ** The volume Office 2004 11.5.0 Update appears to be OK.

I might try to uninstall and then reinstall later. If you had anymore ideas they would be appreciated!