Problems with wow on iMac 27inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vermillon, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Vermillon macrumors member

Hey all

so my iMac arrived today and i love it.
    How ever my world of warcraft lags like mad on it.
    Hovering between 10-20fps.
    Im running my settings on ultra.

I have the i5 3.1ghz processor
    4gig ram
    2gig 6970 gfx card

I can't understand why with a set up like that i would be lagging so badly.

When i lower the settings it does perform better but i shouldn't have to lower the settings with a set up like that.

On my pc i had 4 gigs of ram a dual core 2.6ghz processor and the ati 5850 1 gig gfx card and i managed to run settings on ultra perfectly.

Ive read it is problem with lion, can anybody confirm this or give me some advice.

All help is appreciated thanks :)

2. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

I bet your old setup did not run at 2560x1600? (Or whatever the resolution is). That rez is going to tax any system, it's significantly higher pixel counts than your 1080p average computer screen is nowadays.

3. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

try lowering the resolution. i run sc2 on ultra with the native resolution on my 27" and hover around 70 - 80fps but during large attacks it drops from anywhere down to 6 (this was rare - there was alot going on. my mate's PC was down to 2 hahaha)

if i drop back to a lower res my results get exceptionally better, but it doesnt look as crisp :p

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You can keep it at native res, just lower shadows and liquid quality to good. That's what I did and it ran and over 70fps most of the time.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

The biggest fps killer is the sun shafts, make sure they are turned off completely and you'll notice a big difference.

6. turbobass macrumors 6502

May be res may be OpenGL ... if you have a spare copy of windows around you can always bootcamp it onto the Mac to test and see ...

I can't really remember right but I played WoW fine on my 2011 base-model core i5 and every setting looked to be maxed out with SL just fine.

7. tobypb macrumors member

I don't play WoW but I did test it on my mac for a friend which has similar specs to yours except I have i7, and I seem to remember getting about 40fps on average in busy areas, I run snow leopard though.

My friend then went on to buy his iMac with an i5 and 6970 and to my knowledge even though his runs Lion it still gets the same FPS as I got on snow leopard.

10-20FPS sounds very slow to me for a 6970, even when running at 2560x1440 which is the resolution I ran it at.

8. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Remember

Remember that if you're running Lion the OpenGL v3.0-3.2 is new to the Mac and there's some definite issues with the graphics in some respects due to this but yes, part of it is if you're raging along with 2560x1440 you're going to be making your video card cry in agony. Scale down to 1920x1080 and then look.

9. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Have to agree no need for 2560x1440. Using 1920 x1440 is going to give you more than enough detail and fps.

10. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Rubbish.

I have the i5 version of the 27, and happily sit at 60fps with vsync on at native res.
    Turn shadows down, and sunshafts. Everything else can be turned up.

11. leman macrumors 604

As some people have mentioned, ultra settings in shadow, sunshafts and water
    greatly reduce WoW performance on OS X. The first has to do with the extremely high resolution, the later two with some inefficiencies in Apple's graphics driver implementation. Reduce these setting and enjoy your FPS. And don't forger you play at 1440p while most of the player-base runs 1080p at most.

P.S. And of course use the natie resolution. WoW on on-native looks crap.