Problems with writing files (Lion)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwhite878, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jwhite878 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I seem to be having an issue whenever writing a file in Lion. For example, whenever I open up Pages and start editing a new document, a window will pop up saying something along the lines of "You don't have permission to write to the folder 'untitled' is located in. Do save, you must duplicate etc.". I just ignored this and saved as usual, and I was able to open up the file later, but just in case this is a serious problem, do any of you have a fix for this? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jwhite878 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with that is that I have no idea what folder it is talking about, as it gives me the message before I even save it. Looking at Macintosh HD, I only have permission to read, should I add permission to write, or is this unrelated?

4. CFB macrumors newbie

I encountered the same problem after upgrading to Lion. If the cause of your issue is the same as the cause of mine, it is because you no longer have write permissions on your autosave folder.

Set the finder to show hidden folders and files by opening the Terminal and entering the following:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    Restart the finder by holding 'alt' and right mouse clicking Finder on the dock, then click Relaunch.

Browse to your autosave folder. It should be located in username / Library / Autosave Information. If there is a small red icon on the folder, it means you've got a permission issue.

Get Info on the folder and then fix the permissions. Either allow Read & Write access to everyone or, if you share the Mac, add your user to the permissions lists using the small + and give it the correct permissions.

Autosave should now work properly again.

You can hide the folders and files using the same command as you used to show them, but replacing YES with NO. Relaunch the finder again to apply the change.

5. George Parker macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

I've had the same problem, but thanks for your clear explanation.
    It works!

Actually, I hope that some of the general instability I'm experiencing when copying, moving and renaming files is solved too. The whole autosave function may be affecting more than meets the eye.

We'll see.
    Thanks again.