Problems with Ye Olde Calendar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senorcameltoe, Oct 11, 2007.

1. senorcameltoe macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had strange things start to happen with their Outlook calendars after synchronizing them with the iPhone? I think there are a bunch of problems with the calendar that I'll add in another post, but this one is the most interesting.

During a synchronization I now seem to get random reminders that pop up in Outlook for just a few seconds before Outlook seems to "figure out" that they are completely insane and auto-dismiss them. I finally managed to get a screenshot of one before it went away. Please see the attached, sworn to be Photoshop-free shot of my calendar reminder from Outlook 2007.

It seems that I am more than 21,000 weeks late for a meeting that actually occured about 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize that people had iPhones and/or Microsoft Outlook back in the year 1601, but you learn something new everyday.

This solidifies my theory that iTunes doesn't use all of the (admittedly confusing and somewhat redundant) fields in Outlook calendar items properly. It also appears that after the sync, I now have 9 identical copies of this meeting in my calendar, whereas before my last sync there was but 1.

SCT

Attached Files:

2. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Generally when MS and Apple products mix, the results aren't the most rock solid. But it seems in most cases that MS doesn't follow the standards. Just look at the new IE, or OOXML, and that will tell you where MS is coming from.

3. senorcameltoe thread starter macrumors newbie

What standard would be relevant here? I am assuming that this is Apple using Microsoft's own APIs to manipulate the Calendar. If that is the case, it would seem that Apple is to blame here.

I would lean toward that in this case based on all of the other problems with the calendar - mishandling recurring meetings, time zone snafus, free/busy bug, screwing up auto-archive, treating the appointment details as plain text, etc.

While the calendar is by far my favorite application on the iPhone in terms of its usefulness to me, it is still has a lot of big problems. It is much prettier than any of my previous mobile calendars and the nice big screen makes it easy to use, but there are lots of bugs that seem to be unique to the iPhone's interaction with Outlook.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

No problems with iCal syncs...time for a change :)

5. senorcameltoe thread starter macrumors newbie

It is my work calendar and work laptop... it is out of my hands.