Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ring macrumors regular

I have been having trouble with my Mac. I made a new user account in attempt to solve a problem with free memory going inactive and requiring a constant purge. I figured the issue resides in the crap dropbox app. I set up a new user account and now I'm having some more pain-in-the-ass trouble.

My desktop icon layout is resetting every time I reboot..

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

If it does make a difference, i disabled indexing with root in an attempt to solve the problem.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Love, ring.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you need to purge your inactive memory? what benefit do you see by doing this?

OSX's memory management is quite efficient and generally works best when left alone. Free memory is wasted memory, so I don't worry about inactive, wired or any of the categories the memory could end up.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is no need to manually purge or alter the RAM management of OS X. As stated, OS X manages the RAM quite well and the only thing you should concern yourself is the amount of Page Outs you accumulate. If the number of Page Outs is high, you should consider add more RAM to the system.

Otherwise, it's best to leave it be.

4. ring thread starter macrumors regular

It clearly wasn't efficient if I had 2.6 GB of inactive memory, and 3.5MB of active memory. That isn't even relevant. I fixed the problem.

I just want to know why my icons are resetting to the side every time I reboot my computer, it is really annoying and counter productive.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How about this.

[​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a problem if memory is shown as inactive vs free, and you purging can degrade performance, not improve it. You don't need to manage memory, as Mac OS X does that quite well without user interference.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Yes, it is efficient. You simply don't understand what free vs inactive memory is. Read the link to learn.

7. ring thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't have that on. It isn't an issue with the placement. The issue is the placement keeps resetting when I reboot.

----------

The memory went from 100MB inactive to 2.6GB inactive. It was caused by a dropbox bug. This caused the entire system to lag and rainbow load... It was a problem, I fixed it. Now I have another problem with the new user I had to set up

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder is notorious for not remembering view settings, especially in Icon View.

9. ring, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

ring thread starter macrumors regular

How do I fix it? It is pissing me off and I am about to back up my movies and reformat.

The root account doesn't have the problem. I put a bunch of icons out, reboot, and they are where I put them. On my user, I put a bunch of icons out, and they reset every time :(