problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattsajay, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mattsajay macrumors member

Hi I posted this earlier at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=330939

i was advised to post here.

so heres my problem:

my ibookg4 suddenly is having quite a bizarre problem today. no problems till yesterday night.

1. i was running firefox and safari today along with ms-word and preview. the word file open was huge (~20mb, had lots of figures/pictures in it). and at some point during doing this, i wanted to save the word document that was open. and thats when for the first time, the 'spinning wheel' came on... subsequently, the computer become amazingly slow, like it would take 5 minutes to save the word document, displaying the " spinning wheel " all the while.

2. closing the word document and quitting word took like 8 minutes. i force quit all the program then.

3. i rebooted the machine a couple of times and also did a filevault scan. i tried to go into the disk utility and tried to check for repair disks... but no avail.. the wheel kept spinning...

4. i tried resetting pram (
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449)
    when the machine started up, a question mark blinked on the screen alternating with a folder symbol.

5. the i tried inserting a diagnostic disc:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

it took something to the tune of 4 hours for the disk utility to try and recognise the hard disk. however in the end it gave an error: " error on mass storage" : cache and modem was fine. the 'repair file' did not start up and the harddrive did not show up on booting, only the cd did.

6. upon trying to reinstall the OS, the "target" to install the OS was not found.

any ideas what is the problem? what do you guys suggest, how should I go about fixing it.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Your hard drive is ****ed, try and do a backup if you can to recover any data from it.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

ooops!!!! thats not good!!!

opps!!!!.. i was under the impression that macs were pretty resistant to such stuff! anyways, i think it was a toshiba drive. i am curious, what could I have done that led to HD crash!

1. how do people recover data from a crashed drive?

2. is it possible to replace the drive by my own. ??? any youtube video links that demonstrates such a procedure.

edit: i was wondering if by hard drive getting f***ed, you guy mean that the disc got physically corrupted and cannot be used again or that some disc recoversy system (allsoft?) can act to salvage the drive?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nope, similar to PC's, though they are less likely to break if you drop the machine (if you have a last gen iBook, relatively new Powerbook, or MB/MBP).

Nothing, it's life, apparently about 20% of hard drives fail over a 5 year period, so you need to keep your data backed up ;).

6. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Haven't read your previous forum question, so forgive me if my answers don't help...

If you purchased AppleCare with your iBook G4, you may still be under that AppleCare warranty. If so, give AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE to arrange for service on your machine. If they can, they'll salvage your data. At the very least, they'd replace or fix whatever's going on.

If you're not under AppleCare, then yeah, things are more difficult. You can purchase a new harddrive for your machine and reinstall the Mac OS via the system disk that came with your machine. Other World Computing (www.macsales.com) has a variety of hard drives for Mac's and some videos on how to install. If you're at all in range of an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Service Provider, start with them first. Just have them check it and give you a quote for how much it might costs to fix it. It's kind of like a car - before you start dropping in a new engine, just bring it to the dealership just to make sure it doesn't just need an oil change.

As for getting the data off of your computer, there may not be many options. Again, a Genius at the Apple Store or another Service Provider might be of help.

7. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

thanks a bunch eraserhead (and father jack) for being so prmpt in asnwering questions:

one further question: in your opinion is it worth it to purchase something like alsoft diskwarrior or something equivalent to repair the disc corruption given the fact that the HD is not even being recognized by the apple recovery cd.

8. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

thanks mac21. i am kind of disappointed, this ibookg4 lasted me 2.5 years!!! thats on the lower end of spectrum. oh well!

i did not purchase applecare earlier. i am not sure if i can purchase now. i am under the impression that one has to purchase applecare BEFORE the one year limited guarantee period is over. Isnt that the case?

9. sfisher macrumors regular

Yes, it needs to be purchased within the first year.

10. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

as a follow up,

i get this message when i try to repair the disk from the installation CD:

Repairing disk for "disk0s3"
    Checking HFS Plus volume
    Invalid B-tree node size
    Volume check failed

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume
    0 HFS volume repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired.

any ideas before i actually end up talking to someone from apple store.