Probs Syncing itunes on iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ShadyPastel, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ShadyPastel macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Background: I have an iphone 3G and a MacBook Pro. Have had both for over a year, long term Mac user and have had a good relationship with both products, we have up until recently been a happy family.

Problem: On the last sync between iphone and laptop, I seem to have ended up with duplications.

- Artist List: I can have an artist listed twice, for the same song.(note this is not consistent across the board just for some).

- Song List: I can have songs listed twice, for the same artist.(note this is not consistent across the board just for some).

- Songs duplicated in albums: Song 1 will be in there twice, thus a playlist within that album will run as song 1 followed by song 1 again, song 2 followed by song 2 again and so on and so on. Not fun if you just want to hear an album as an album. (note this is not consistent across the board just for some).

- Album artwork: A song will be listed with the artwork for the album it appears on and then be listed again with the artwork for the single it was released with. Is this because somewhere in itunes store land when you go "search for album artwork" it has some kind of confusion meltdown and doesn't know which one to give you? (Note, this happens with not only albums I've purchased through itunes but also for albums imported from purchased hard-copy CDs). Again, this is also not a consistent error across the board, just in some instances and not others. How can you get a single and an album version when you only purchase one through itunes? And how can you get a single version and an album version when it's imported directly from a purchased CD? (weird).

I've also noticed similar problems when I go to sync the calendars. It's duplication hell.

Question: Is there a way to delete songs out of lists on the iphone? Or am I going to have to do some major surgery i.e. reverting the whole thing back to factory settings? If I do have to go back to factory settings will I then need to also re-input all my other stuff as well such as address book entries?

I'm pretty worried that the next time I sync, I'm going to end up with triplets.

Thanks for all help in advance.
    :(

2. snowleopard48 macrumors regular

snowleopard48

One way to avoid this (The cause still being unknown, though) is to uncheck the box in iTunes that says "Sync Music Automatically", then just drag the playlists you want up to your iPhone in the sidebar.

3. ShadyPastel thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks snowleopard

I have actually done that. Although now that you've mentioned it, perhaps I've accidentally dragged some in twice, thinking I didn't have it on the iphone??:rolleyes:

I wish it would do a similar thing as iPhoto where it gives a prompt that says something like 'this is a duplicate do you want to import it again?'

I will be more careful to check what's already there in future, but in the meantime I still need to know how to delete the duplicates that are already there.

Thanks anyway,;)

ShadyPastel