Probs w/Jailbreaking/Unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doncomp, Feb 17, 2011.

1. doncomp macrumors newbie

I've jailbroken and 'unlocked' (I think) iphone with Ultrasn0w 1.2, Cydia. After doing this, my previous ATT SIM phone will not accept my ATT SIM - "No Service" then "No SIM". I don't understand.

Will an unlocked ATT iphone ONLY accept other SIM cards, not ATT?

2. ImStrapped macrumors member

An unlocked one should accept anything.. I mean that's the point of unlocking it.
    It's compatible. Maybe you didn't do the process correctly?

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm jailbroken and unlocked and I'm on ATT. Works fine when I'm home and then I change SIM's when I'm overseas. You shouldn't have this problem.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

As always, software unlock depends on the baseband. Thus, what is the baseband?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It could be your AT&T sim is bad. Check it in another phone. If you're an AT&T customer, you can get a replacement sim from the store. If not, ask how much it costs to buy a sim.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

He probably tried to unlock an unsupported baseband.

OP, write back and tell us what baseband you're running and which iPhone.

An unlocked phone will always accept any SIM card so what I'm guessing you did is read a little bit about unlocking, didn't check out which BBs were supported, went ahead with the install of Ultrasn0w and now your phone won't accept any SIM cards.

If this is the case, you will need to restore and re-jailbreak. If you're running an iPhone 3G or 3GS, you'll need to use Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or higher to upgrade to the iPad baseband for your unlock. If you're on an iPhone 4, and your baseband is higher than 1.59.00, then an unlock is currently not possible.

7. doncomp thread starter macrumors newbie

As usually with Forum replies, they're scattered everywhere. Thanks, though.
    I asked if unlocked iphones would accept ATT. Thanks for answering that question.

To the others, it is OS 06.15.00, it was jailbroken correctly.

Funny thing, I took it to T-Mobile, the clerk inserted her T-Mobile SIM, phone still did not accept. I went to Wi-Fi, searched "Other" for T-Mobile. (I spelled it wrong, but anyway). Suddenly, the iphone recognised the T-Mobile card, then it accepted my ATT.

Works fine.

Explain why it just 'kicked-in'?

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Who knows why it just kicked in? Unless you can give us the EXACT details of what you did, we can only guess at where you did something wrong. The process of unlocking is cut and dry. And you don't need to unlock an AT&T iPhone to get it to accept an AT&T SIM, despite what some of the misinformed on this forum will tell you.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Actually that's baseband 6.15.00. I'm assuming your firmware is somewhere in the 4.xx range.

10. doncomp thread starter macrumors newbie

I loaded redsn0w 0.9.6b5. It installed Cydia and changed bandwidth to 6.15.00.
    I then opened Cydia, installed Ultrasn0w 1.2, then in Cydia I clicked on Manage, Sources, "repo666...".

I don't understand the 'kicked-in', though

This happen once, a while back, when I was trying to set up my eMail on iphone. Called ATT, Apple, Time-Warner...no help. Finally walked into an Apple store, they didn't know, but while I was waiting for tech #2, my eMail 'kicked-in'. I assumed it was their wi-fi signal...But, you know what they say about the word ASSUMED.