Proc swap possible on a ZIF 1.42?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RockPortTech, Mar 10, 2015.

1. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Greetings Everyone, is it possible to swap out my processor for a more powerful one? Say a Intel Core Duo or Core Two Duo if my Mac Mini currently has the 1.42Gz processor and the slot is the Zero Insertion Force type of deal?

I recall having read that someone swapped out their proc for a more powerful one on their mac mini, but for the life of me i cant find that article now.

IF it is possible, will this mean I can run Snow Leopard?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've never owned a Mini, so don't know how exactly the processor is installed.

I think I can pretty safely say, though, that there's zero chance of being able to put an Intel processor in a PowerPC Mac short of gutting it and replacing the entire logic board. The architectures are totally different, and it simply wouldn't work-not to mention the fact that the sockets would be different even if both are of the ZIF type.

The G4 Mini was available up to 1.5ghz-you might be able to put a 1.5ghz G4 from another Mini in it, but again as I have no experience I can't say this for sure. This would be the extent of a processor swap you could do, however.

3. RockPortTech thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks bunnspecial, I was hoping against hope but cant beat architecture, i will just have to suck it up and save for a used Core2Duo mini this summer, Cheers!!

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd advise looking for at least a 2009 3,1 model.

5. RockPortTech thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Magic, hopefully I can find a decent one, is there anything special about the '09's say over an '07 Core 2 Duo?

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The '07 models use Intel GMA 950 graphics, which are extremely slow, and don't support anything newer than OS X Lion.

The '09 models use nVidia 9400 graphics, which are still slow, but better than Intel GMA 950, and are supported up to the latest OS X Yosemite.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

What ^^^ said ;)

I'm slightly biased as I bought one on the day it launched. It's now doing HTPC duties and running it's fifth major version of OS X. Best £400 I ever spent!

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I use 2009 Macs.

My MBP has two graphics chips: Nvidia Geforce 9400M and 9600M GT. My iMac only has the 9400M. The 9400M is a bit too slow for me but that 9600M GT is just right, especially when setting at max clock speeds in Windows. It's like a brand new Mac!

So OP, look at the 2009 Macs; they are still fully supported :) but if they are a bit too expensive for you, look at some older ones. But avoid Core (1) Duo or Core (1) Solo or anything older than Core 2 Duo, because they use different architectures and you won't be able to run anything newer than Snow Leopard.

9. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Do correct me if i am wrong (as i am not a mac expert) but you could get say a 1st Gen Mini (or one with one of the CPUs you mention) and simply just upgrade the CPU with a C2D or better could you not? did the 1st gen Intel Macs use Socket 775?

10. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I'm inclined to think that Mac Mini CPUs were soldered to the logic board.

11. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Besides the Intel Atom CPU I don't recall any other Intel CPUs that were not socketed. Even the laptops have socketed CPUs (PCs anyway)

12. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The iMacs I believe do, from the Core Duo up until the early 09 model.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

How is this a real statement from Bunn?

It's strange, no one really every speaks of Mini's around here.

14. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Starting in 2009 they were. Earlier Intels were socketed.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

I did just that. I had a Mac Mini 1,1 model with a 1.66GHz Core Duo chip and swapped that out with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo and flashed the EFI to Mac 2,1 as the logic board was otherwise identical.

The 64bit cpu allowed the installation of Lion otherwise SL would be the end station. The flashing of the EFI allowed the installation of more than 2GB of RAM. Sadly, one of the RAM slots died as they often did with the first generation Intel Mac Minis so that was that.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The first and second generation Mac mini use socketed CPUs, yes, but they are laptop socket-M (aka mPGA478A) not Socket 775.

Note that unlike the current processors, that generation had the graphics on the logic board, not inside the CPU - so upgrading the CPU will not upgrade the graphics chip. You'll still be stuck with the not-Mountain Lion-or-later compatible graphics.

It only lets you go from Snow Leopard to Lion, no higher.