Procedure for buying iphone in apple store (USA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andemad12, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Andemad12 macrumors newbie

Hi.

What is the procedure for buying a apple iphone in the USA?
    Do they ask for ID or can you just buy it with a credit card without signing up for anything?

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I went into my at&t store and said I want an iphone.
    He said ok what plan are you interested in.
    I say prepaid.
    Guy says you can't do iphone prepaid.
    I say yes you can.
    His co worker says yes you can.
    He hands me a phone, I pay for it, and walk out laughing.
    Activate at home via itunes.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

• Drive to Apple Store
    • Enter Apple Store
    • Buy iPhone
    • Leave Apple Store
    • Drive Home
    • Activate Phone

4. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

although don't be surprised if they ask for id for the credit card.

5. AppleTree macrumors member

Well I heard you can't buy an iPhone with cash and you can't buy it with a foreign credit card.

This sucks for me, because i want to buy one when i go back to the states...and I only have foreign cards...guess i'll just use a friends credit card...there is always a way.

6. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

you have to buy with credit card and id?
    it cant be foriegn?

is this true?

7. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

yes you can only pay with credit card
    but it can be foreign they don´t care

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

they can't ask you for id unless the card is not signed also

9. danq99 macrumors newbie

they can ask you for ID even if its signed. Back when I was in retail, everyone thought that signed card=no id needed. Its really up to the retailer.

10. oldimac macrumors regular

One of the reasons you sign your card is so the salesperson can check that signature against a valid government id (drivers license etc). How else do you know the card isn't stolen.:D

I never sign my credit cards. I write PLEASE ASK FOR ID in the signature space. Most of the time they never even look tho. But that way if I do lose it or it is stolen maybe I have a littel breathing room before I cancel the card.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You can't use a foreign credit card. Some people have gotten away with it but it is YMMV.

12. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

So is this an isolated incident and his co-worked was just on your side, or can you do this in any store?

I don't want to go in and wind up getting into an argument about this and leave with nothing.

13. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

I always ask and people are always surprised. Once I had a man get angry when I asked for his ID even though he wrote "SEE ID" on the back of his card. Why would you write it there if you don't want people to ask for your ID? It's also kind of awkward when people don't HAVE identification on them...

But yes, writing that on your credit cards is always a good idea because some people do check. (Sorry, this was a totally off-topic reply for an iPhone forum.)

14. nightelf macrumors 6502

I bought several iPhones with 2 int credit cards and had to problem.

I also saw a guy buying at least 50 iPhones at the same store. They even got him a little cart to carry the iPhones.

15. livitup macrumors newbie

I hate to be a pendantic wanker, but as a card accepting merchant who actually follows the rules (and gets yelled at by many a fine customer in the process) I have to verge a little further along the off topic road...

Writing "SEE ID" is actually not acceptable according to Visa/Mastercard and a Merchant should demand that you sign the card in front of them before they process the transaction. Of course you are free not to sign the card, but then the merchant should not accept it.

The reason is that signing the card indicates acceptance of the cardmember agreement, and without doing so you and the card issuer have never really formed a contract. Look on the back of your Visa/MC and it will say "Not Valid Unless Signed" which means signed not "See ID".

The tricky part of this is that if you write SEE ID and your card is ever stolen, and Visa finds out that you wrote SEE ID instead of signing it, they could refuse to cancel fradulent charges due to your failure to sign the card. Or even worse, from my perspective, they could hold the merchants accountable for the fraudlent charges since they accepted an invalid card.

See the following links for more details...

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/card_present.html (go to the very bottom of this page)
    http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6787955

/RANT

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

• Drive to Apple Store
    • Enter Apple Store
    • Get ticked off at the long lines/sold-out iPhones
    • Leave Apple Store
    • Drive to AT&T Store
    • Buy iPhone
    • Drive Home
    • Activate Phone
    :D

17. sindrejibb macrumors member

What do you mean with get a ticket off?
    Can I get a discount on it?

EDIT: Haha, I understand now. Get tickeD, yeah. So AT&T store have them in stock but not Apple Store?
    Anyone knows the updated New York stock?

18. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

The best solution would be to sign the card in the appropriate space and write with a felt tip pen or Sharpie "Please ask for ID" next to the signature box or in another location on the back of the card.

19. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I think this is true, at least on VISA/MC. I do know for a FACT That AmEX allows "See ID" as your sig. Note the back of an AMEX says "Customer Signature" not "Not Valid Unless Signed".

20. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Yup, it's as easy as that. One of the best buying experiences I've ever had.

21. dima1109 macrumors newbie

What if I don't intend to use AT&T? What are the chances they won't sell the phone to me at the Apple store?
    What about an AT&T store? I've heard they started basically making you activate in the store.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is among the many reasons I wish someone would start using hand-scanners like my college dorm had (in the 1990s!!!) instead of signatures. Sure would make fraud a lot tougher!

23. Alrescha macrumors 68020

While we are being pedantic, according to Visa a merchant may *ask* for id but he may not *require* it as a condition of sale. This of course applies to properly signed cards.

A.

24. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Isn't this something to do with a Homeland Security directive aimed at counter terrorism activity and co-ordination?

I mean can you imagine if Bin Laden walked into the Apple store on Prince Street NYC and pulled out a load of afghanis to pay for an iPhone then started download tunes at random....imagine the chaos this would cause.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just go to a corner in New Jersey and buy 8GB & 16Gb iPhones out of this guy's trunk...(Update: Oops, guy got arrested for selling stolen iPhones!) :D:p