Procedure for making DMG

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by satyam90, Dec 4, 2008.

1. satyam90 macrumors regular

satyam90

I developed a Cocoa application, built the application successfully. I am making "dmg" for distribution. I am using the command "hdiutil". I am able to do it successfully.

Can some one tell me how to show a dialog with my application and link to /Applications directory such that user can copy the application to /Applications?
    I am attaching the image what I am expecting. In the image "video box" is user application. This dialog is shown after installing the "dmg".

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I *think* you just create a folder with your App in and an alias to /Apps, configure the folder how you want, then create a DMG from that folder.

I've never done it, but I imagine this is how it would work.

3. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

you just make an alias of your own Applications folder and copy that to the disk image before converting to your final DMG.

here is a link outlining the basic procedure using Disk Utility: http://el-tramo.be/guides/fancy-dmg

or, if you use 10.5, you can download DMG Canvas. it's a free app, but in my experience well worth the $15 donation/registration.

4. satyam90 thread starter macrumors regular

satyam90

I know that we have to create an alias and add it to DMG. I want to know how to show a dialog with my own back ground image (as seen in 1st comment) while installing my application.

5. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i don't understand what you mean by "Dialog"... do you mean the text that reads "Videobox"? that's just apart of the background image. if you want text to appear between the main icon and the applications folder, produce this text as part of the background image.

if you're talking about a user agreement that pops up before the disk image is mounted, just use DMG Canvas.

6. satyam90 thread starter macrumors regular

satyam90

I am using 10.4.11 and so I can't use DMG Canvas.
    I downloaded videobox.dmg and it showed a window as seen in 1st comment. The window has background image, videobox application and an alias to /Applications.
    But when I am making my application as dmg and when installing, a Finder window is opened which shows my application and alias to /Applications directory.
    I want my dmg must also show in similar fashion.