Proceed To Final Checkout To Display Price

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lifeinhd, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I was shopping online for HDTVs the other day, and I noticed a couple of retailers-- such as Amazon and Buy.com-- now require you to proceed to the final checkout before they'll show you the price on some items. Before you only had to add it to your cart, a minor inconvenience, but not the end of the world. Now they want me to create accounts with them, enter all my deets, address, payment... no ****ing way am I going to do that to comparison shop. I find this ridiculous-- it's clear they're just phishing for my information. I won't even consider purchasing from a retailer who does this (I hope other retailers decide to not be morons and not follow suit).

Sorry, had to rant.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

That used to bother me until I realized I had accounts with such web stores.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it doesn't bother me.

4. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

But for those of us that don't... it's one less reason to make one imho :rolleyes:

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It doesn't really bother me. Making an account isn't really a big deal.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree ... some companies are losing business while data mining

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Totally agree, I find it very sleazy. Not a huge annoyance to deal with but it's just the thought that some corporate knucklehead thinks it's one step closer to a sale. I find it to be bad practice.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

9. 184550 Guest

I can understand not having a Buy.com account (I certainly don't), but, really, not having an Amazon account? :p

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

11. Surely Guest

Surely

There are places to get things cheaper than Amazon? News to me!

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Marketing gimmick? How so? "We're going to purposefully piss you off by making the price difficult to determine, because pissing you off is a known marketing gimmick of increasing our sales". Not.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Not unless it's some mistake that they won't honor.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, when they canceled that $40 PS3 deal/mistake, it did suck, but at least I got a credit on my account as an apology ($30 I think?).

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was actually talking about the $200 iPad 2 from Sears. They didn't offer me any compensation.

For the Amazon PS3 I got $20.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, it could be because I buy a crapload of stuff from Amazon. Good customer and all......

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it was random. I didn't get anything until I chatted up their online customer service reps.

18. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Minimum advertised price isn't some made up BS by Amazon. It's especially prevelant in consumer electronics. Its a PITA for consumers and big retailers but protects smaller high-margin, low-volume retailers.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

21. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I like Amazon's website, but:

If you buy things with gift cards, it forces you to go to the point of purchasing an item just to see if you got free shipping or not. You can't back out, and the cost is not broken down by line item. There is only a button that says "Pay this amount now" or something to that effect until you add enough to pay for whatever amount it is. This page also doesn't have any link back to Amazon.com.

Buying subscriptions is confusing. No summary of what your shipping options are, no link back to Amazon.com. Does not return you to similar items of sale after purchase.

I don't know why things are designed that way. Making pages where you can't inspect exactly what you're buying is not good..

22. Surely Guest

Surely

There are no shipping options with Subscribe & Save. Because you get a 15% discount, they only use regular shipping for S&S orders (although I still get my orders within a couple of days).

23. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Yeah I see that, but it's not clear if your final order ended up with free shipping or not - I think just letting us know that you didn't make it for free shipping (or did) would be a good idea.

24. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It just reminds me of the junk I see on those annoying car dealer ads. "Our prices are SO LOW, we can't show you!" It just seems like the places doing this are just trying to point out how much cheaper their price is than other places, even when they aren't. I have seen Amazon, for example, doing this when their price ended up being about the same as say, Newegg.