Process 'Bird' in Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VisionaryZS, Oct 19, 2014.

1. VisionaryZS macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, a few days ago I recently acquired a mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15-inch retina. I was just taking a look at the activity monitor. I was just wondering what the process 'Bird' actually does. I want to get rid of any activities on my monitor that are not needed.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Screenshot of activity monitor would help.

Only thing I can think of would be Angry Birds ?

Never heard of a process called Bird.

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

It appears to be the process for cloud documents, or related to cloud documents...I wouldn't kill it if you are using iCloud.

In the screenshot there is a bunch of stuff about "CloudDocs." That is how I (possibly) figured that out.

Attached Files:

4. VisionaryZS thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are the screens!

Attached Files:

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I would say you're overthinking it if you're tracking down any processes this little. It is using a miniscule amount of resources. Personally, I'd just let the computer do what it wants to do.

6. VisionaryZS thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, okay, thanks. I don't have any use for the cloud right now, but I may in the future. I gave permission to install a bunch of software in the past few days, and I hope that they were all reputable.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ha ! I don't use the Cloud. Thus my confusion about da Bird.

8. VisionaryZS thread starter macrumors newbie

So if the system and user are using a total between 2-7 %, that's normal?

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yep. That's normal.

10. martinwhiting macrumors newbie

Bird uses huge amounts of disk

I have the same problem with bird, although CPU and memory usage is low, in 24 hours it has written 442Gb and read 200gb from my disk. I have no idea what it is doing, but it means my disk is constantly whirring away. I only started looking because my other programs are starting to slow down and take a long time to load.

I haven't even activated iCloud yet. So what is this program doing and can i stop it if it is slowing down my machine?

11. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I noticed "bird" taking a LOT of system resources and CPU time. That's how I got to this thread. As it sits right now, bird is consuming 80-90% CPU (out of 400% for my hyperthreaded i5 MacBook Air). My CPU is running 90-95°C probably because of it.

12. rob_saunders macrumors newbie

rob_saunders

There's a man page for bird (type man bird in console, haha).

NAME
    bird -- Documents in the Cloud

SYNOPSIS
    bird

DESCRIPTION
    bird is one of the system daemons backing the Documents in the Cloud feature.

There are no configuration options to bird, and users should not run bird manually.

13. Internet Enzyme macrumors regular

Internet Enzyme

It is most likely based on iCloud. When I clicked on the Battery Status icon in the menu bar, it said that iCloud was using significant energy. When I opened Activity Monitor, Bird had been running for almost 5 hours, was using 7 threads, and had used 9 GB of RAM, and with no other resource intensive application or processes being ran at a time, I can conclude that iCloud is "bird".

14. Amineo macrumors newbie

Yes this is an iCloud process, which seems in particular to manage the iCloud Drive file sync process. Turn iCloud Drive off and it will disappear. I had to do this to maximise battery life on my 13" 2015 MBP.