Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Hi All. Picking up my phone tomorrow in store, but trying to help some family members out with a 9/27+ range for deliveries.

If I'm able to find stock in store (either when I pick up, or via alerts over the weekend), does anyone have experience with cancelling an IUP program and switching to in store?

- Do I need to fill out the loan form again or will me pre-approval still be ready to go so I can check out quickly?
- Apple told me it takes 24 hours for upgrade eligibility to reset. Is this actually the case (doing Verizon phones through upgrade program).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
All that headache because they can't wait a week or two?

Would love to keep this thread about past experiences/thoughts instead of questioning their intent. Glad you got it out though.

Reasons are:

1. They have a payment due on their XS in 3 days. No reason to pay an extra $60 if we can avoid it
2. They are traveling before their ship date and would like an improved camera

Reactions: Collin789

Collin789

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Would love to keep this thread about past experiences/thoughts instead of questioning their intent. Glad you got it out though.

Reasons are:

1. They have a payment due on their XS in 3 days. No reason to pay an extra $60 if we can avoid it
2. They are traveling before their ship date and would like an improved camera
1568933547046.gif

Chloros

Suspended
May 4, 2016
Apple stores had lots of stock on day 1 last year. I cancelled my IUP and picked up at the store....the apple guys know its common and have a way to adjust it. Didn't have to reapply since i was already approved.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Apple stores had lots of stock on day 1 last year. I cancelled my IUP and picked up at the store....the apple guys know its common and have a way to adjust it. Didn't have to reapply since i was already approved.
Cool thanks for the data point. So you cancelled while at the store and were good to go?

If they don't have stock tomorrow and I want to go for ordering for pickup this weekend, think it really takes 24 hours to reset? E.g. if I get a stock alert, then cancel the shipment, am I screwed?

Thanks again.

Chloros

Suspended
May 4, 2016
I cancelled at the store. I just reserved the phone and headed to the store.....told the apple guy that i had one on order. Since it was still in process he canceled it and applied it to the reserved phone.,,,,was pretty easy and straightforward. Hopefully nothing changed this year since i plan to do the same thing lol.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Oh nice. That's what I'm hoping to do as well. When you ordered, did you just order your carrier's phone at full price and have them switch in store? Thanks again and good luck this year!

zztops

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I just did this to pick one up in store.

1) IUP cancellation are almost instant to reshow your eligibility. Maybe 5 min delay at most
2) The 24 hour delay is only to reset carrier upgrade eligibility. (aka ATT next eligibility)
3) There will need to be a new approval. The old one will be gone.
4) A second credit check may/may not happen. usually if they didnt pull the first time, they wont the second time.

Reactions: MrAperture

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Ok, sorry.
All good.
[automerge]1568935087[/automerge]
I just did this to pick one up in store.

1) IUP cancellation are almost instant to reshow your eligibility. Maybe 5 min delay at most
2) The 24 hour delay is only to reset carrier upgrade eligibility. (aka ATT next eligibility)
3) There will need to be a new approval. The old one will be gone.
4) A second credit check may/may not happen. usually if they didnt pull the first time, they wont the second time.

Cool that helps a lot. Appreciate the info all!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm afraid that the phone may ship between now and then, and I don't want to go through the hazzle of having to return the other one. thoughts?

Are you close to an Apple store? Returns are painless and very fast, as long as getting there isn't a pain. I'd be very afraid that someone would purchase the phone you "put back into inventory."

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Since I did not want to go through the hassle of having to return the phone, I went ahead and cancelled my order last night. I showed up at my local apple store at 630. At 7 they came around and made phone reservations for those of us in line. I will be going back at 1:30 to pick up both my phone and watch.

Reactions: zztops

Faitt

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I cancelled my preorder this morning when I saw there was stock available nearby. Placed a new order for pickup. No issues with iUP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.