Process for Changing iPhone's Main Computer/iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, Jun 9, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I got a new MacBook Pro several months ago. Up until now, I've always synched my iPhone up with my work computer (PC). My work PC has all of my backups currently on it (with apps, photos, contacts, etc), and I've never attempted connecting my iPhone to my MBP.

I'd like to begin using my MBP as the main synching computer, as my MBP has all of my music on it (2000 or so songs). Problem is...my iPhone currently has no music on it...so I can't just backup my current iPhone on my MBP.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any insight on how to properly transition to the MBP being my main synching source?

Is there a way to connect my iPhone...transfer everything on it to the MBP's iTunes (minus music), and then transfer songs to the iPhone?

2. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

One more thing...is it possible to keep your iPhone calendar synched through an Outlook email account (work email/calendar) even if that account isn't on the new computer, or does it automatically synch with the calendar on the computer it's synched to?

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

As for syncing I went through this recently. Copy the entire directory (/Users/You/Music) from one computer to the one you want to sync to. It wont remove anything, it will just merge the files and folders (you should overwrite most files it asks about). That worked for me but I did it on the windows side (ie I reinstalled windows and just copied my itunes directory back and everything worked fine).

The backups are stored somewhere else, they aren't in the Music folder, wont matter, just right click on your phone in iTunes and select Create Backup to make a fresh one.

You will lose the ability to sync outlook unless you have a way to connect your work account on your MBP.

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have a similar question: my iPhone currently syncs to an older iMac. I want to use a new computer to sync my iPhone.
    Is there a simple and direct way to transfer the sync information from one computer to the other either via the phone or otherwise?
    Thanks!

5. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Hmm...ok. My music already exists on my MBP though (where I want to sync going forward)...but none of my iPhone apps, contacts, etc are on the MBP. I'm paranoid of syncing the iPhone and losing my music library on my MBP (since my iPhone only has one song on it - and that's only because it was used for a ringtone). So, you're saying it will just ask me what I want to sync and I can manually select "apps, contacts, photos" only, for example...then move music from my MBP to the iPhone afterwards?

6. jman240 macrumors 6502a

The music doesn't move. It copies. Nothing you do on the iPhone will affect any of your music on your MBP. If you want. You can select the box on your work computer to manually manage music then try connecting it at home and dragging files to your iPhone instead of syncing. Not sure if that works or not...

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Same thing I told OP. Copy the entire Music directory. It worked for me but it's been a little while. I believe all your syncing information is in there.

A way to test it is just copy the directory and then plug your phone into the new computer. If it doesn't to anything out of the ordinary then you're good to go. If all your settings on the different tabs (music, video, podcasts) are not there, ie, no boxes are checked, then it didn't work.

Also, kind of important, make sure to quit itunes before doing this =)

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

As said above, it will not touch your music on the Mac. In fact, you can not move the music from your iPhone to the Mac without jumping through hoops which include getting a third party application.

The real question is what will happen with the other stuff. As far as you app purchases, you should be connecting to the Apple store with the same account so you should be able to redownload all those apps for free.

I am not sure how the contacts will sync up. One possibility is a merge between your address book contacts and the iPhone contacts.

I would recommend making sure you have a good backup of the iPhone on the work computer and then makling another on the Mac before you start syncing things so you can undo stuff if it doesn't go as you planned.

As you probably know, iTunes allow you to select what syncs and what does not. You can try syncing everything except the calendar on the Mac and nothing but the calendar on the PC at work. In the past I have tried syncing the calendar to both a Mac AND a PC and things got ugly. These days it may actually keep the calendars separate since it does that for direct sync versus google calendar or mobile me over air syncing. However, it may consider the direct sync the same and not keep them separate.

The real trick is to have abackup you are willing to restore from so if things don't go how you hoped you can undo it.

9. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Ok, I'll give that a shot. I figure I might as well try it out on my 3G, prior to getting my iPhone 4 to ensure a smooth process and a good backup before getting a new phone.

Thanks everyone!

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

This is true. All of your backups and sync info is stored in this folder. Simply copying this folder to the new PC/Mac is the easiest and most pain free way to keep all your data intact.

11. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Hi! Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one because I have a related question. My dad just bought a new macbook, coming from a PC. He has an iPhone 4 and also a 3g which he's just keeping around for now. I helped him restore his 4 as a new phone to possibly help with battery life, but he forgot to tell me he had all his birthdays and stuff saved to the calendar on there. He still has the calendar on his old iPhone and saved on backups on his old computer. How can I synch this calendar to his new mac and get it onto his new iPhone? Thanks!

12. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I copied my iTunes library to discs from my PC and imported them on my MacBook. I have HomeSharing enabled but if I try to sync from my MacBook, it wants me to erase and sync because "you can only sync with one library at a time". Many of the purchased content I moved over will not play on my MacBook because it was bought with an AOL account. It prompts me to log in with my AppleID but still does not work. Those songs play just fine on the PC. Should copying the directory from my PC fix this as opposed to importing from the back up disks?

13. dottybean macrumors newbie

If you have all your songs on your iphone and want to transfer to a new computer ... I had success (after a couple of tries) by using a free download onto the macbook, called Senuti. (its Itunes spelled backwards :0)

Then I just had to "authorise" the new computer to have my itunes library and checked sync all for apps, movies etc etc etc

Worked well for me, I think I lost 1 song only