Process for moving AT&T SIM to unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phal Wottmer, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Phal Wottmer macrumors newbie

I have a pre-ordered T-Mobile iPhone 6 arriving on Friday (full price, direct from Apple). I understand from previous threads that it will be unlocked, but I wanted to establish the exact steps for using this phone on AT&T, since this will be my first experience bringing my own unlocked device to the carrier. The steps below are what I’ve gathered from other threads. Can anyone with experience with this confirm?

1. Back up old iPhone (an iPhone 5, in my case) through iTunes.
    2. Remove AT&T SIM from old iPhone.
    3. Remove T-Mobile SIM from iPhone 6.
    4. Connect iPhone 6 to computer (with no SIM), turn on iPhone 6, and go to iTunes.
    5. From iTunes, choose “Restore iPhone” and choose to restore the iPhone 6 to factory default (expect a “Congrats, your phone is unlocked” message upon completion).
    6. Turn off iPhone 6, put SIM from old iPhone into iPhone 6.
    7. Turn iPhone 6 on and go back to iTunes.
    8. From iTunes, choose “Restore iPhone” and choose to restore the iPhone 6 to the backup created from old iPhone in step 1.

Does this seem right? If so, two additional questions:
    • Does it matter that my old iPhone is not yet unlocked? It comes off contract on September 23, but since I will have an unlocked iPhone 6, I trust I can still move the old SIM into the new, unlocked phone.
    • Do I need to let AT&T know the IMEI for my new phone at any point? Does it matter to them that the SIM is going into a different iPhone?

Thanks for your help! I hope this info is useful to others taking the unlocked plunge as well.

2. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but...

1. Back up old iPhone (an iPhone 5, in my case) through iTunes.
    2. Remove AT&T SIM from old iPhone.
    3. Remove T-Mobile SIM from iPhone 6.
    4. Connect iPhone 6 to computer (with no SIM), turn on iPhone 6, and go to iTunes.
      [*]Put iPhone 6 into DFU Mode (Hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds and then release the power button and hold the home button for 5 seconds.
    5. From iTunes, choose “Restore iPhone” and choose to restore the iPhone 6 to factory default.
    6. Turn off iPhone 6, put SIM from old iPhone into iPhone 6.
    7. Turn iPhone 6 on and go back to iTunes.
      [*]Now you should see "Congratulations, Your iPhone has been unlocked."
    8. From iTunes, choose “Restore iPhone” and choose to restore the iPhone 6 to the backup created from old iPhone in step 1.

• Does it matter that my old iPhone is not yet unlocked? It comes off contract on September 23, but since I will have an unlocked iPhone 6, I trust I can still move the old SIM into the new, unlocked phone. Nope, it doesn't matter what your old phone was.
    • Do I need to let AT&T know the IMEI for my new phone at any point? Does it matter to them that the SIM is going into a different iPhone? Nope.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You don't need to restore. Just put your old SIM in the new phone, turn it on, and proceed through the activation steps.

4. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Is it really necessary to restore the iPhone??

I could be wrong, but as long as you don't INITIALLY turn on the iPhone to T-Mobile, it will be unlocked.

- If first signal the phone gets is T-Mobile, it will be locked to TMobile
    - So just take out TMobile sim before turning it on and just put in ATT sim so first signal the phone will ever receive is ATT. Then it will be unlocked forever?

5. nampmuj macrumors member

I need to get a nano sim from AT&T (my phone currently uses a micro) so I'm waiting for my iPhone to be delivered on the 19th.

I'm thinking when I receive my iPhone to take out the T-Mobile sim then go straight to AT&T and ask for a nano sim for my number without turning on the phone OR should I take out the T-Mobile sim THEN turn on the iPhone follow the step on the phone then go to AT&T or does it not matter?

6. amro macrumors 6502

Do you even need a SIM before you connect to iTunes?

7. Dreday24 macrumors regular

http://www.amazon.com/Noosy-generat...d=1410905577&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+sim+cutter

8. nampmuj, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

nampmuj macrumors member

9. nampmuj macrumors member

Does anyone know if it matters which one I do or does it not matter?

10. Phal Wottmer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm doing this for the first time, like you, but I think it is easier if you already have the AT&T SIM in hand.

11. nampmuj macrumors member

I tried to get a nano SIM after I placed my iPhone 6 order but they said I needed the phone with me because they needed the phone's IMEI.

It would be ideal to just put my SIM into the iPhone 6 when it arrives but my current phone uses a micro SIM.

12. sgrundy macrumors newbie

Can you post how it goes Friday?

I also wanted a contract free Iphone 6 for At&t account

Ordered a 6 Plus , paid full price , but as you know had to get the T-mobile version to get it contract free.

My phone is 2 weeks behind yours.

Can you post if it works? I am assuming the phone is unlocked unless activated (big assumption).

Thanks

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

It doesn't matter. Unlocked is unlocked. You can take out the T-Mobile sim and throw it away as soon as you get the phone if you want. You just need a sim card in the phone in order to activate it initially. If you want then you can just wait until you get your AT&T sim to activate you can but it doesn't make a difference regardless.

14. Phal Wottmer thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do. Mine is being delivered to the house (probably mid-day), so I'm hoping to read some reports of others' experience before I give it a go on my own.