process of selling macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Hey all,

So I am currently selling my MBP through craigslist and one buyer asked for the serial number because they wanted to check if it was legit. If I give him the serial number would that go against me? I mean they cannot do anything bad with the serial number right?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They can't do anything bad with.
    If you still have the receipt and the packaging, then you have proof of your purchase.

The buyer just wants to verify, that the MBP is not stolen, as Craigslist is notorious for such scams.

3. xrayz macrumors member

Pretty routine, lots of people even put then in ebay auctions so people can check the warranty status and see if they can add applecare

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thanks for the advice and xrayz. because someone asked me and then once I gave them the serial they didn't reply..guess they just mulling it over. Thanks again!

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Just sold my MacBook pro tonight for 950! One question though, I removed my stock drive and put in a brand new hard drive into it before selling it. So my private data and everything is safe right?

Thanks!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, unless there is data on the new drive.

7. tullys macrumors member

tullys

Always do it.

Hey

I always add the serial # (and for phones the IMIE #) to my auctions to ensure if the buyer has a problem with the product, it's with the one they bought off me and not some other identical product they've already broken themselves.

C