Process using 98% CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meldar, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

This has never happened to me before.

I booted up my MacBook as always and the cooling fan started up as soon as I logged in and was blowing pretty strong. It caught me off guard since, having just logged in, I had nothing processor-intensive running yet.

I checked my Activity Monitor and it said that a process called "wrapper-macosx-u" was hovering between 95 and 98% CPU. I'd never heard of that before and presumed it was an anomaly as my CPU was never used that much when I first logged in.

It didn't get in the way of running Photoshop and iTunes but eventually I got tired of the fan and worried it would overheat. When I restarted the computer I checked Activity Monitor again, expecting to see that process there but using less CPU...but it wasn't there at all.

I'm at a complete loss. I have no idea what this process is or what it was doing hogging my CPU. If anyone has any ideas that'd be nice. :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might want to switch Activity Monitor to hierarchical view and see what spawns the "wrapper-macosx-u" process. I have a feeling it's being run by your user as well.

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Yeah...that'd be great advice to follow up if the process was still there. That's why I'm a little confused - it's gone completely.

Although, I did view a sample of it. It had a lot of "child" but no "parent" visible.

And my user is "jimmy" - it was being run by "jimmy", not "root" or anything, if that helps.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Google only turned up one mention of it over at MacBidouille. There wasn't anything beyond what I've already mentioned.

5. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

That's extremely odd. I'll just have to see if it comes up again and then do further research to see if it's possibly something malicious; if it doesn't come back I'll just dismiss it as an anomaly and forget about it.

Thanks for trying to help, appreciated.

6. projectxz2005 macrumors newbie

I ran into this curious issue too. wrapper-macosx-u loads whenever freenet (something I downloaded yesterday) is started. If you don't have this, maybe it is due to some other java program that you're running? (freenet is java).